Soccer, Sports

49ers dominate Big West favorite

The Long Beach State women’s soccer team cruised to its first Big West Conference victory of the season Sunday as it routed preseason conference favorite UC Santa Barbara, 3-1, at George Allen Field.

Junior midfielder Shawna Gordon delivered the game-winning goal in the 23rd minute when she rebounded her own penalty kick that was blocked by UCSB’s goalkeeper Makenna Henry.

The victory extended the 49ers’ (8-3-2, 1-0-1 Big West) unbeaten streak to five games, while the Gauchos dropped their third road contest of the season.

“[This win] was really important for us because Santa Barbara is always among the top two or three [teams] every year,” Gordon said. “We were picked to come in sixth, but I think everyone is going to have a different perspective of us now.”

The 49ers broke the scoreless game open at the 1:30 mark when sophomore forward Nadia Link connected for the quickest goal in school history.

Gordon’s lead pass over the Gauchos’ backline found a trailing Link inside the 12-yard box for her team-leading seventh goal of the season.

LBSU head coach Mauricio Ingrassia said he was pleased with his team’s ability to control possession for most of the match.

“When we take care of the ball, that’s the key for us,” Ingrassia said. “Because if you take the ball away from [UCSB], they can’t hurt you.”

Less than five minutes after Link’s goal, the Gauchos (5-5-2, 1-1-0 Big West) evened up the contest at one apiece.

Midfielder Kailyn Kugler intercepted LBSU defender Chantel Hubbard’s miscalculated cross and drilled an open shot from the middle of the box.

The Beach put the game out of reach for good in the 60th minute when midfielder Lindsay Bullock’s header hit the crossbar and went into the net. Senior midfielder Karina Camacho was credited with the assist as her corner kick found Bullock inside of the box.

Officials issued a yellow card to Ingrassia in the 64th minute for contesting a call that he felt should have resulted in an LBSU corner kick, but instead, possession was rewarded to UCSB.

Bullock also received a yellow card when she applied a running shoulder block to Gauchos defender Alexa Stringer during the 70th minute.

The Beach applied pressure to UCSB’s backline throughout the entire match, outshooting the Gauchos, 15-10.

“[UCSB] was a dangerous and explosive team,” Ingrassia said. “But I think we took 90 percent of what they do away.”

The ‘Niners also won the battle in corner kicks, 6-3.

Bullock led the ‘Niners with five shots, three of which came on goal, while all three of Gordon’s shot attempts came on target.

49ers goalkeeper Emily Kingsborough tallied three saves, while Henry posted six for the Gauchos.

LBSU continues Big West action on Friday as it travels to UC Riverside. Kickoff is scheduled for 7 p.m.