Men's Golf, Sports

49ers tied for 5th place in Oklahoma

The Long Beach State women’s golf team finished its first day at the Dale McNamara Invitational tied for fifth place Monday after shooting a 13-over-par 301.

Junior Monica Villarreal, who led The Beach in its last two tournaments, paced the ‘Niners by carding a 2-over 74 in the first round at The Patriot Golf Club in Owasso, Okla., to finish tied for 16th.

The Beach is tied with Oklahoma State and the University of Arkansas-Little Rock. No. 39 UNLV and No. 20 Oklahoma sit tied for first place after both teams shot 4-over 292 in the opening round.

The Sooners’ Ellen Mueller nabbed the individual leaderboard’s top spot by shooting a 5-under 67. The score marked a career-best for the senior, who collected six birdies on the day.

Senior Reina Rogers notched the 49ers’ second-best individual effort as she finished just one stroke behind Villarreal with a 3-over 75, which was good enough for 21st place.

“We had a great start to this event,” LBSU head coach Joey Cerulle said in a press release. “I got some great senior leadership from Reina, and again our team played consistently well.

“We will look to improve upon our total, but we know we have to put ourselves in a good position to finish well.”

Freshman Rochelle Chan and teammate Simone Hoey finished the opening round tied for 28th after both had identical 4-over 76 scores.

Senior Lindsey McAtee rounded out the 49ers’ day by carding a 14-over 86 to finish all alone in 84th place out of 90 participants.

Second round action is scheduled to begin at 7:20 a.m.