Men's Golf, Sports

Men struggle, in last place through two rounds

The Long Beach State men’s golf team finished last Monday through the first two rounds of the Royal Oaks Intercollegiate tournament in Dallas, Texas.

The 49ers improved by two shots in the second round and finished the day 22-over-par 590 at the Royal Oaks Country Club.

Iowa, ranked 17th in the nation, led the 12-team field at 17-under 551. The Hawkeyes’ Vince India has a two-shot lead over Texas A&M’s Conrad Shindler for the top spot. India, who fired six birdies in the second round, finished the day at 10-under 132.

LBSU sophomore Benjamin Lein had a consistent day, carding a 71 and 72 to tie for 23rd place on the individual leaderboard at 1-over.

Fellow 49ers sophomore Kevin Lim also shot a 72 in the second round, bouncing back from an 8-over performance to start the day. Lim will enter Tuesday’s final round tied for 62nd place (9-over 151) along with teammate Raymond Ho, who dropped 20 spots in the second round.

Philip Chian fell 22 spots to 52nd place after shooting 6-over in the second round. The sophomore, who fired a 72 in the opening round, finished the day at 7-over 149.

Austin Love rounded out the field of 49ers with a 10-over 152 total to tie for 65th place.

Texas Tech’s Brian Scherer had the biggest turnaround of the 72 golfers. Scherer struggled to a 13-over performance through the first 18 holes but responded with a solid 72 — a 12-shot improvement — to close the day.

Tuesday’s final round is scheduled to start at 6:30 a.m.