Men's Golf, Sports

‘Niners claim 11th place at Gifford Collegiate Championship

Results

The Long Beach State men’s golf team wrapped up its final fall tournament with an 11th-place finish at the Gifford Collegiate Championship in San Mateo, Calif., on Wednesday.

Head coach Ryan Ressa’s squad shot a 29-over-par 384 in the final round to card a 76-over 1,141 for the tournament.

UCLA was the only team to shoot under-par on Wednesday and took home the team title with a three-day score of 9-over 1,074. The Bruins Patrick Cantlay earned the individual crown after carding a 6-under 207 in the tournament.

Stanford finished 13 strokes behind UCLA to take second place.

LBSU sophomores Raymond Ho and Philip Chian paced The Beach in Round 3 with identical 4-over 75 scores. Ho was the 49ers’ top overall finisher with a 15-over 228 score, which was good enough to put him in a tie for 51st place.

Chian finished just one stroke behind his teammate to finish tied for 54th place. Fellow 49er Kevin Lim finished the tournament tied for 56th after recording a 17-over 230.

Juniors Kevin Roy and Austin Love both completed the tournament with matching 18-over 231 scores to finish in a tie for 61st place.

Sophomore Benjamin Lein finished the tournament one stroke behind the pair with a 19-over 232 score.

The Beach won’t be in action again until the LBSU-hosted Battle at the Beach in February.