Men's Track & Field, Men's Water Polo, Sports

Women’s water polo, track to open season

Women’s water polo

Head coach Gavin Arroyo’s 49ers will hit the pool Saturday at 1 p.m. in the season opener at No. 4 UCLA.

Senior driver Lauren Sieprath and junior defender Krizia Cerda will return to lead the 49ers, who finished 8-19 last season — including an 0-5 mark in Big West Conference play.

Sieprath and Cerda, a pair of second-team All-Big West honorees last season, combined to score 87 goals as LBSU’s 1-2 punch. Cerda led the team with 50 goals.

“We’re really hoping that our seniors in particular provide the leadership that we expect out of them,” Arroyo said in a release. “They are all very experienced, having played and started since they were freshman, and they should really help our younger players in a number of ways.”

After three away matches and a two-day tournament in San Diego, the 49ers will play USC in the home opener Feb. 18 at the Campus Pool.

Track and field

The Long Beach State track and field team kicks off the 2011 indoor season this weekend as it sends a split squad to the University of Washington Invitational (Friday and Saturday) in Seattle and the Don Barrett Duals (Saturday) at the U.S. Air Force Academy in Colorado.

The 49ers will take 11 distance runners to the UW Invitational, which will be held at Dempsey Indoor. The Beach opens the meet with the women’s (7:15 p.m.) and men’s (7:45 p.m.) distance medley relays on Friday evening. LBSU then returns to action Saturday with the 3,000-meter run, kicking off a full day of events at 8 a.m. The ‘Niners will also have entrants in the mile and 800m.

The Beach will participate in the Don Barrett Duals at the Cadet Field House on Saturday.

Other schools competing include Colorado State, Northern Colorado, Wyoming and host Air Force. The field events are set to begin at 9 a.m. with the men’s weight throw, while the track events are slated for a 1 p.m. start with the women’s mile run.