Men's Track & Field, Sports

Individual victories highlight track opener

Don Barrett Air Force Duals in Colorado

The Long Beach State track and field team posted a pair of individual wins Saturday at the Don Barrett Air Force Duals at the Cadet Field House in USAF Academy, Colo.

Colin Dunbar claimed the men’s weight throw with a lifetime-best 64-07. That mark ranks him third on the LBSU all-time charts. Dunbar also placed sixth in the shot put (52-06.50).

Phylicia Johnson was the other individual winner as she won the 60-meter hurdles in 8.76 seconds. Johnson, who already holds the top indoor mark in school history, was just .03 seconds off her personal best (8.73).

In other men’s action, Jacob Weintraub placed second in the shot put. He registered a distance of 55-07.75, which ranks fourth in school history.

Sam Jeter also took runner-up honors in the 400-meter dash, crossing the finish line in 48.59 seconds. Chris Lawson added a fifth-place performance with a time of 49.11 seconds.

Nathan Alade ran a lifetime-best 7.04 in the 60-meter dash, which moved him up to No. 6 on the all-time charts. He finished eighth overall.

Nimrod Piggee tied his personal-best at 8.21 seconds to place third in the 60-meter hurdles. Nicholas Armstrong also finished fourth in the high jump (6-06.75).

On the women’s side, Kristen Kiefer took seventh in the 60m hurdles with a lifetime-best 9.04 seconds, which ranks her sixth on the all-time charts. Shakina Phillips placed ninth with a mark of 9.15. Kiefer also had a fourth-place performance in the long jump with a leap of 17-03.25.

In the high jump, Katrina Graves-Johnson and Stephanie Armstrong tied for fourth as both cleared 5-05.

UW Invitational results

The 49ers also sent a group of distance runners to the UW Invitational at Dempsey Indoor in Seattle, Wash.

Nina Moore was LBSU’s top finisher in the 3,000-meter run as she placed 20th overall with the third-best mark in school history (9:55.95).

On the men’s side, Heath Reedy ran the fifth-fastest 3,000-meter time in school history, crossing the finish line in 8:29.90 seconds to place 30th overall. Bret Hasvold wasn’t far behind as he finished 35th with a mark of 8:36.49 (sixth in school history).

The men’s distance medley relay squad of Reedy, Jonathan Evans, Raul Arcos and Hasvold took eighth place. The quartet clocked in at 10:17.93, which ranks them eighth in LBSU history.

Long Beach State continues the indoor season in two weeks when it heads to the Husky Classic (Feb. 11-12) and the Don Kirby Invitational (Feb. 11).