Men's Golf, Sports

Women’s golf finishes 11th

The Long Beach State women’s golf team shot 313 in Wednesday’s final round of the Bruin Wave Invitational in Santa Clarita, Calif., to finish in 11th place. The 49ers completed the 54-hole tournament with a 930 three-round total, finishing at 66-over-par at the Robinson Ranch Valley Course.

LBSU finished eight strokes behind No. 47-ranked Oklahoma State (9th) and 10 shots ahead of No. 41 UNLV (13th). Third-ranked and tournament co-host UCLA, which finished 4-under, won the team championship by 20 strokes over No. 7 Arizona (+5) and 21 shots over co-host No. 27 Pepperdine (+17).

The 49ers were led by Simone Hoey, who tied for 29th with a 12-over total. Hoey, who carded a final round 75 to tally a 228 total, recorded two birdies and two bogeys with double bogey on the front-nine, while collecting a pair of birdies and three bogeys on the back-nine.

Monica Villarreal shot a 78 to finish 16-over (232), tying for 45th, while Rochelle Chan recorded an 80 for a 17-over (233) total to tie for 48th.

Noelle Zavaleta closed out the tournament by shooting a final round 80 to finish at 22-over (238) and Lindsey McAtee tied for 75th with an 83.

UCLA redshirt sophomore Lee Lopez, who competed for the ‘Niners and won the Big West Conference Freshman of the Year in 2009, won the event at 4-under. Teammate Glory Yang finished one stroke behind while fellow Bruin Stephanie Kono finished at 2-under.

The 49ers will return to action in Irvine for the inaugural Folino Invitational hosted by Cal State Fullerton. The two-day tournament begins Mar. 21 at the Oak Creek Golf Course.

Sports editor Tracy McDannald contributed to this report.