Baseball, Men's Golf, Softball, Sports

‘Niners Notes: March 7

Baseball, softball players receive weekly honors

Three Long Beach State athletes — one from baseball, two from softball — were named Big West Conference Player of the Week on Monday.

Sophomore Nalani St. Germain earned the conference’s Field Player of the Week honor while senior Brooke Turner earned a co-Pitcher of the Week nod. Their efforts led to a 4-1 record and a tournament championship at the Campbell/Cartier Tournament in San Diego last weekend.

St. Germain hit .643 in the 49ers’ five games, including wins over three nationally-ranked teams. The second baseman went 1-for-3 with a three-run home run against No. 24 Houston in a 3-0 win; she went 3-for-4 in a 6-5 win over No. 23 Fresno State; and 2-for-4 in a 7-1 win over No. 21 Baylor.

St. Germain finished the week 8-for-14 with three RBIs, while adding a .706 on-base percentage and an .857 slugging percentage.

Turner went 3-0 at the tournament with wins over BYU, No. 24 Houston and No. 23 Fresno State.

In the BYU game, she pitched three innings of relief, allowing no hits while striking out four. In the win over Houston, she came in to pitch four innings of relief, allowing no runs on just two hits with four strikeouts.

Turner pitched a complete game in the 6-5 win over Fresno State, allowing five runs (three earned), while striking out five. For the week she had a 1.50 ERA and allowed opposing batters to hit just .170, while striking out 13 in 14 innings.

Turner and St. Germain claimed the fourth and fifth weekly honors for LBSU players this year.

Meanwhile, junior pitcher Shawn Stuart was named the Big West Pitcher of the Week after earning two wins for the Dirtbags — one in relief and one as a starter.

Stuart is the second pitcher in a row honored for the Dirtbags, as LBSU has won two of the three awards given in 2011.

Stuart, a transfer out of Merced College, put together a strong relief appearance against USC for his first win of the week. Entering the game with two runners on, Stuart delivered 2 1/3 innings of one-hit relief in a 5-4 win.

Stuart was then called upon to make the team’s Sunday start against No. 15-ranked Oregon. Stuart gave up a double to the first batter, who later scored, but spread out two hits over the next seven innings while striking out four in a 4-1 victory over the Ducks.

On the week, Stuart had a 0.96 ERA over 9 1/3 total innings pitched, lowering his season ERA to 1.35 over five appearances.

Men’s golf in 3rd heading into final round

After two rounds of play at the 15th annual Del Walker Intercollegiate at Virginia Country Club, the Long Beach State men’s golf team finds itself just four strokes behind first-place Weber State and two shots behind second-place Santa Clara.

In Monday’s round, LBSU carded a 356 to place second and was just four strokes behind Weber State (352). The 49ers fell to third after shooting a 372 in the second round to finish 28-over-par 728.

Tournament host LBSU was paced by junior Kevin Roy, who carded rounds of 69 and 74 for a 3-over 143 to tie for fourth. Roy is just six shots behind UCLA’s Gregor Main, who sits on top of the leaderboard at 3-under.

Benjamin Lein finished just two-shots behind Roy with a 5-over to tie for 14th. Lein fell from eighth after firing a 70 on Monday morning and returned with a second-round 75 to finish with a total score of 145.

Philip Chian and Raymond Ho tied for 19th with a 6-over 146. Chian recorded a 73 in both rounds, moving up in the standings after opening the round in 36th. Ho shot a 71, tying for 15th and came back with a 75 in the afternoon round.

Kevin Lim tied for 32nd after scoring rounds of 73 and 75 for an 8-over.

The event concludes on Tuesday with the 49ers teeing off at 8:10 a.m. from the No. 1 hole. LBSU is paired with Santa Clara and Weber State for the final 18 holes. Live action can be followed on golfstat.com.