Men's Track & Field, Sports

Men’s track capture 1st-place in Cal-Nevada Championship

The Long Beach State men’s track and field team won the 2011 Cal-Nevada Track & Field Championship title Sunday as it finished with 155 points over the two-day meet in Claremont, Calif.

“It was a very good team day for us,” 49ers head coach Andy Sythe said in a release. “We are feeling good about our abilities to be effective at the conference meet, but we still have a lot of work ahead of us and want to be even better than we are now.”

The throwers paced the ‘Niners with seven scorers in two events. Cesar Puga defended his title in the discus, finishing ahead of the pack with a season-long 179-07. Colin Dunbar made it a one-two finish for LBSU with a runner-up personal-best showing at 173-08.

The Beach added a trio of scorers in the shot put. Dunbar led the way with another second-place finish, registering a distance of 54-04.

Manny Neizer and Michael Vaughan also scored in the triple jump, placing fourth and fifth, respectively. Neizer had a season-best 48-02.75, while Vaughan wasn’t far behind at 48-01.75.

Over on the track, the 49ers had a pair of runner-up showings in both hurdle finals. Nimrod Piggee was second overall in the 110-meter hurdles, crossing the finish line in a season-low 14.31 seconds, while Sam Jeter did the same in the 400m hurdles at 51.23 seconds.

Chris Lawson took third in both events, notching a lifetime best in the 400H (51.70) and a season best in the 110H (14.49).

On the women’s side, the 49ers placed in seventh overall (58.50 points).

ILBSU had four scorers in the high jump. Katrina Graves-Johnson and Stephanie Armstrong cleared 5-05 to tie for third, while Janelle Coulter was sixth (5-05). Sara Macey also placed seventh overall at 5-03.

Ramiah Rhay scored in the discus, registering a season-long 144-05 and Jillian Weir did the same in the shot put, coming in eighth with a mark of 45-05.75.

Shakina Phillips tied for fifth in the 100-meter hurdles with a season-best 14.14 seconds, while Kristen Kiefer finished in a season-low 14.37 seconds for seventh place.

The 4×100 relay team of Dee Lars, Saedra Wright, Alexandra Kruthers and Phillips took eighth overall (47.61).

LBSU will have a one-week layoff before it returns to competition on April 8 when it heads to Irvine for the Big West Challenge.