Sports, Women's Tennis

Beach tennis takes down Oregon, 5-2

Behind a stellar performance from the bottom half of its lineup, the No. 47-ranked Long Beach State women’s tennis team notched a 5-2 victory over Oregon on Friday in its return to the Rhodes Tennis Center.

It was the first match home match for The Beach in three weeks.

The 49ers opened up the day with an impressive sweep in doubles action.

Sarah Cantlay and Julie Luzar knocked off Pascale Neubert and Rabea Stuckemann, 8-4, at the No. 3 spot, while Jaklin Alawi and Rachel Manasse sealed the point with an 8-5 victory over Trudie du Toit and Julia Metzger at No. 2. Meanwhile, Anais Dallara and Klaudia Malenovska also won at the No. 1 spot, edging out Patricia Skowronski and Pavlina Smatova, 8-6.

While Malenovska dominated Skowronski, 6-1, 6-2, in No. 2 singles action, the ‘Niners had its share of struggles from the top half of their lineup.

Deborah Armstrong fell 7-6 (2), 6-4 to Julia Metzger at the No. 3, while Dallara lost at the No. 1 spot to Smatova in three sets, 6-2, 1-6, 6-2.

However, Manasse had a quick 6-2, 6-1 over du Toit at the No. 4, while Anna Jeczmionka also won in straight sets over Lana Buttner, 6-4, 6-3.

Cantlay, on the other hand, was forced to go the full distance at the No. 6 spot as she collected a three-set victory over Stuckemann, 6-1, 3-6, 6-2.

LBSU will return to action Saturday as it will play host to No. 42 Cal Poly in its final home match of the season at the Rhodes Tennis Center. The 49ers will also honor senior Deborah Armstrong in a ceremony before the match.