Sports, Women's Tennis

Beach tennis wins two titles at UNLV Invitational

The Long Beach State women’s tennis team won seven out of nine matches Sunday at the UNLV Invitational, including the flight two singles and doubles championships as the 49ers finished the first weekend of competition in women’s tennis.

Junior Anna Jeczmionka completed an outstanding first weekend with a victory over Ginet Pinero of New Mexico State en rote to taking the flight two singles title with a 6-1, 6-3. Jeczmionka finished the weekend 3-0 in singles action.

Also winning their flight in doubles were junior Sarah Cantlay and senior Rachel Manasse who beat Pavlovic/de Lanleay of UNLV by an 8-2 margin to earn Long Beach second main draw victory of the day.

The Beach found success throughout the day, though, particularly in doubles where the 49ers were undefeated in three matches. Laura Bernard and senior Anais Dallara defeated Nanon de Lanleay and Nives Pavlovic of UNLV, 8-2, while Jeczmionka finished an unbeaten day with Karolina Rozenberg with a 9-7 win over Anett Ferenczi-Bako and Rumyana Terzieva of UNLV.

In singles, the 49ers also had three wins. Dallara picked up a 6-4, 6-4 win over Erin Stephens of Ole Miss, while Bernard also had win against a Mississippi opponent Julia Jones, winning 6-3, 6-3. Manasse also had a singles win as she beat Natalia Salum of New Mexico State, 6-3, 6-3.

Cantlay and Rozenberg both lost in singles, with Cantlay falling 6-2, 6-2 to Iris Verboven, while Annemieke Witte topped Rozenberg, 6-3, 6-3.

The 49ers’ next completion is the ITA All-American Championships. The tournament begins on Sept. 30.