Men's Golf, Sports

‘Niners take share of Bill Cullum Invitational title

The Long Beach State men’s golf team claimed a share of the Bill Cullum Invitational title with Arizona State on Tuesday in Simi Valley, Calif. as it shot an 11-under-par 286.

The Sun Devils carded a 282 to overcome a four-stroke deficit and a share of the lead with LBSU. However, a two-hour fog delay this morning at the Wood Ranch Golf Club prevented a playoff for team and individual champion from taking place.

This is the first tournament win for LBSU since capturing last season’s Braveheart Classic in Beaumont.

LBSU completed the two-day, 54-hole tournament with an overall score of 11-under par 853 as the 49ers and Sun Devils won by a comfortable 13 strokes over third-place Denver (+2) and 16 shots over Sacramento State (+5), which came in fourth. Tournament host Cal State Northridge placed 11th at 40-over.

Freshman Xander Schauffele paced LBSU as he fired a 7-under 69 to finish in third, just one-stroke behind individual medalists Spencer Fletcher of Arizona State and Tyler Torano of Loyola Marymount.

Schauffele recorded an eagle in the final round, leading the field of 86 players with a total of three eagles for the tournament. Schauffele completed the tournament at 7-under 209.

Senior Kevin Roy recorded his best round of the tournament with a solid 69, tying for 10th at 1-under. Roy tallied a total of 14 birdies for the tournament.

Junior Philip Chian shot a 76 to tie for 15th at 1-over, while collecting a total of 12 birdies.

Senior Kevin Lim turned in his best score of the tournament with an even-72 to finish at 2-over, tying for 18th. Freshman Kevin Techakanokboon shot an 82 to tie for 38th at 8-over.

LBSU had four players playing as individuals. Freshman J.J. Holen recorded a 74 to tie for 27th at 5-over, while fellow classmate Ben Heisey (84) and junior Raymond Ho (77) tied for 63rd at 14-over. Freshman Matt Fliss (+18) improved by two strokes for an 80, tying for 70th.

“I’m really excited for all of the guys on this team,” LBSU head coach Ryan Ressa said. “It’s been a while since we’ve won a tournament last spring. We had contributions from everyone to make this win possible. It’s exciting to see the momentum going in the right direction and to see the guys getting better.”

The 49ers will return to action from Oct. 31 through Nov. 2 as they will travel to San Martin, Calif. for the CordeValle Resort hosted by UCLA.