Softball, Sports, Women's Sports

‘Niners end LBSU Invitational on strong note

Friday

The Long Beach State softball team experienced two extremely different outcomes on Thursday as they beat Eastern Kentucky 10-7, but followed up by losing to Oregon State 12-2 in the Long Beach State Invitational.

The ‘Niners (8-16) opened their own tournament with a convincing victory that saw them score more runs in one game than they had in the previous four games combined. They got out to a 2-1 lead after one inning and never looked back, exploding for 14 hits and ten runs.

“We definitely hit the ball better today,” LBSU head coach Kim Sowder said after the games. “We just played a little more relaxed today instead of trying to force it.”

Left fielder Hannah De Gaetano was one of six 49ers to have two hits, but her fourth inning home run and four total RBIs made her the clear leader on offense.

Starting pitcher Erin Jones-Wesley improved to 8-7 on the year despite allowing ten hits and seven runs.

The same can’t be said about LBSU’s nightcap against Oregon State, however, as the ‘Niners gave up a six-run seventh inning and en route to a 12-2 loss.

“Up until the final inning, we were right there and had runners in scoring position and just didn’t get the key hit,” Sowder said. “I think we’re plenty good to do it, we just didn’t come through like we did in the first game.”

Oregon State, who were just a few votes shy of being nationally ranked in the USA Today softball poll, put up three runs on the board early and continually fought off 49er threats before putting the game away for good in the seventh. In the bottom of the sixth, LBSU had runners on second and third with one out but failed to close what was then a four-run gap.

Junior Nalani St. Germain was a perfect 3-for-3 against Oregon State pitching, but her efforts were hardly enough to win the game for the 49ers. Christian Carbajal took the loss and fell to 0-5 for the season.

Saturday

Erin Jones-Wesley threw a two-hit shutout and led the Long Beach State softball team to a 6-0 upset victory over No. 24-ranked North Carolina last night.

The 49ers (9-17) made the most of their six hits, leaving only four runners on base while driving six home to grab their second win in the Long Beach State Invitational.

“We finally put it all together,” head coach Kim Sowder said after the game. “Good hitting, good pitching, and good defense. It feels good.”

Jones-Wesley, the defending Big West Pitcher of the Year, finally had a start reminiscent of her dominant 2011 performances, as she struck out seven batters and only allowed two hits en route to her first shutout of the season.

She had a little help from her offense as well. The ‘Niners got on the board early courtesy of junior Nalani St. Germain’s three-run home run in the bottom of the first.

They tacked on another run in the third inning and added a couple of insurance runs in the bottom of the sixth thanks to left fielder Megan Denio’s bases-loaded single up the middle.

What was arguably the 49ers’ most complete game of the season came just 24 hours after they were dismantled by UCLA, 14-0.

“I just really like the character that this team has and the way they carry themselves,” Sowder said.

“The fight that they have, both in the dugout and on the field, that they just hang in there and stick with it…it’s tough to have that kind of character when we’ve struggled like we have.”

LBSU beat a solid North Carolina team, which was 17-6 coming in and had been ranked as highly as 23rd earlier in the year. The Tar Heels’ starting pitcher, Lori Spingola, pitched a no-hitter against UNLV just one day before taking the loss against the 49ers.

“They are a very good team and that’s a very good pitcher,” Sowder said. “It felt good to put it all together and see what we’re capable of. Until you actually do it and see it, you can’t gain that confidence. It was a good win for us.”

Sunday

The Long Beach State softball team closed out their home tournament with a second consecutive shutout victory as it defeated the Charleston Southern Buccaneers 5-0.

Sophomore pitcher Erin Jones-Wesley led the 49ers (10-17) to a 3-2 mark in the Long Beach State Invitational, earning all three wins and recording one loss. She followed up yesterday’s shutout of North Carolina with yet another strong performance against Charleston Southern, giving up six hits and striking out six en route to another complete-game shutout.

The ‘Niners took an early lead when a Nalani St. Germain single up the middle drove in Hannah De Gaetano, who had reached on an error by the Buccaneers’ shortstop. They would never look back, scoring a pair of runs in the fourth and another two in the sixth.

“We jumped on the board early again and took advantage of one of their mistakes,” head coach Kim Sowder said. “We just played a solid game, offensively, defensively, and in the circle. It’s nice to see and I think we’re definitely gaining some confidence as a team.”

With the win, the 49ers nabbed consecutive victories for the first time this season. They have just one tournament remaining before Big West play begins and found a good time start gaining momentum.

“We’re in a good place as a team right now. I’m definitely pleased,” Sowder said. “That’s a solid team right there. Charleston Southern and North Carolina are two nice wins. We did them both with shutouts and scored in multiple innings, so I can’t ask for more.”

LBSU started out the tournament with a win over Eastern Kentucky, but things quickly turned bleak as they lost 12-2 to Oregon State and then 14-0 to UCLA in the next two games. After winning just twice in the previous 14 games, the ‘Niners seemed to be at a definite low point.

Their fortunes quickly turned, however, as they upset No. 24 North Carolina and beat Charleston Southern comfortably to close out the tournament.

Jones-Wesley was without a doubt he star player of the weekend, going 3-1 with two complete-game shutouts. St. Germain and third baseman Hannah De Gaetano were the leaders on offense, as they drove in a combined 13 runs over the weekend.

Long Beach State’s next test will be Iowa, which they play at home on Tuesday. They will then head out to San Diego for the weekend in what will be their final tournament of the season.