Sports, Women's Sports, Women's Tennis

49ers fall to UCLA in round of 32

The Long Beach State tennis team’s NCAA appearance came to an end as it lost to the top-ranked team in the nation, UCLA.

The 46th-ranked Long Beach State women gave all they had, but it wasn’t enough as they fell to No. 1 UCLA at the Los Angeles Tennis Center in the second round of the NCAA Tournament on Saturday.

UCLA immediately proved to be a tough opponent on all three courts as the contest for the doubles point began.

Freshman Laura Bernard and senior Rachel Manasse faced an extremely athletic duo, No. 6 freshmen Skylar Morton and Robin Anderson. Anderson’s devastating serve was an instant problem for the ‘Niners.

However, Manasse was able to keep the set close until the very end. A combination of good serves, great corner shots, and volleys like an overhand pummel that tied the set 4-4 kept her and Bernard in contention throughout.

“I tried to take [the serve] early,” Manasse said. “But I just had to try to not do too much.”

Bernard, on the other hand, has had better days. She let a game go with a double fault and then was aced by Anderson for the set point that ended the match at 8-6 in favor of the Bruins.

Over on the No. 3 court, junior Sarah Cantlay and senior Julie Luzar lost the second set to UCLA seniors McCall Jones and Carling Seguso, who stumped them 8-4. The set was needed to clinch the doubles point.

Senior Anais Dallara and junior Klaudia Malenovska played a great set for the 49ers against the Bruins’ Courtney Dolehide and Pamela Montez. They both dominated the net with several aggressive volleys and unreturnable overhands and led 6-4 when the doubles action stopped.

The singles matches were not as close as the previous doubles. The Beach seemed outmatched as they battled their tough opponents individually.

Dallara couldn’t seem to solve Anderson’s serve and didn’t have the same success with her own serve. These problems were significant factors in her 6-1 and 6-2 losses.

Bernard was the next to drop a match for the 49ers as she couldn’t seem to find her game against Montez. She played a tough first game, but went on to trail for the rest of the match, eventually losing 6-3 and 6-2.

Soon after, Rozenberg suffered Long Beach State’s final point to UCLA as she lost in two sets 2-6, 4-6 to Seguso.

One of the few bright spots of the day was Manasse’s domination her opponent, McCall Jones, who was outwardly frustrated the whole match.

“I loved it,” Manasse said. “We don’t really get along.”

Manasse outplayed and outlasted Jones in the majority of the rallies with her strong corner shots and overwhelming forehand attack.

“I just focused in on what I had to do,” she said.

The 49ers’ elimination came after a successful first round in which they shut down No. 33 Arkansas. They took all of the points en route to what was only the second tournament victory in school history.

Unfortunately for the ‘Niners, No. 1 UCLA was waiting and stopped any Beach celebrations before they could start.

Anonymous

good riddance.