Sports, Women's Sports, Women's Tennis

Tennis season begins as two 49ers win Player of the Week honors

As Long Beach State transitions from nonconference play to Big West Conference play in several sports, the women’s tennis team is just getting started and several players are earning recognition for their outstanding efforts this weekend.

Tennis

The LBSU women’s tennis team finished up its first tournament of the year on Sunday at the UNLV Invitational.

Anna Jeczmionka and Karolina Rozenberg led the 49ers in singles, as they each defeated their opponents on the final day of the tournament. Jeczmionka defeated Malia Wahinepio of Northern Arizona 6-4, 2-6 and 6-3 while Rozenberg swept South Alabama’s Mary Angela Martin 6-1 and 7-6.

Rozenberg also represented The Beach in its only doubles win of the day, as she and partner Anne-Sophie Willems took down Anett Ferenczi-Bako and Ella Bourchier of UNLV, 8-1. The 49er pair lost to Norther Arizona’s duo of Wahinepio and Ghizelene Doballah 8-6 in the Flight Two consolation finals as well.

Next up for the ‘Niners is the Fullerton Invitational, which will be held during the first weekend of October.

Soccer

Goalkeeper Marrina Meyers was named Big West Defensive Player of the Week yesterday for her shutout of San Diego Friday.

The sophomore made six saves, including five in the second half, against the Toreros in what was her third shutout of the year. She has now registered 51 saves on the year, averages 1.16 goals against per game and is a big reason why the 49ers are 7-3 and ranked 22nd in the country.

“I knew that [the Toreros] were going to come out with a lot of intensity and we had to be ready for it,” Meyers said after the game. “I just had to communicate with my back nine, and [defender Alex Balcer] was always saving me. She’s coming through in the clutch all the time.”

Meyers is the third 49er to earn a Big West Player of the Week nod this year. Balcer won the defensive award in late August and midfielder Eileen Maes won the offensive award last week.

Volleyball

Also taking home Player of the Week honors was sophomore
middle blocker Alma Serna.

Serna put together two highlight-reel performances last weekend in wins over Cal Poly and UC Santa Barbara. She totaled 27 kills, six digs and six blocks to lead LBSU to a perfect opening record in the Big West Conference.

This was the first time this season that a 49er has won a Big West Player of the Week Award in volleyball.