Soccer, Sports, Women's Golf, Women's Volleyball

‘Niner Notes: Eileen Maes named to weekly honor roll

Women’s soccer players earn weekly honors
Long Beach State women’s soccer players Eileen Maes and Mimi Rangel were recognized and awarded for their roles Sunday in the 49ers’ 3-2 final minute win against No. 23 Texas Tech.
CollegeSoccer360.com named senior midfielder Maes to its Primetime Performers Weekly Honor Roll after scoring her 10th career goal as a 49er and set up Rangel’s game-winning goal with an accurate pass against the Red Raiders Sunday in Lubbock, Texas.
Rangel, a freshman midfielder, was named LBSU’s Student Athlete of the Week on Tuesday for her two goals in Sunday’s upset victory, including the game-winning goal three seconds before the game clock expired.

Former 49ers golfer Monica Villarreal advances in LPGA Q-School
Former Long Beach State women’s golfer Monica Villarreal placed 88th in the first stage of the LPGA qualifying tournament, allowing her to advance to next month’s second stage.
The tournament represents an opportunity for amateur female golfers to play their way into professional golf.
Villarreal, who played for LBSU from 2009 to 2012, recorded a 298 at the 72-hole event, which was composed of 241 players from around the world. Of those 241, the top 100 players are eligible to advance to the second stage.
Stage two of the tournament will be held in October at The Plantation Golf Club in Venice, Fla. The top 80 players to finish will advance to the third stage in December.

Women’s volleyball team adds freshman Hayley Roberts
The Long Beach State women’s volleyball team announced that it has added freshman middle blocker Hayley Roberts to its roster and is available to play immediately.
Roberts was recruited by LBSU out of Liberty High School in Bakersfield,  Calif., where she was a four-time all-area selection. She led the team with 404 kills and .478 hitting in her senior year while earning the Area MVP honors.
The 6-2 freshman will join the ‘Niners on their road trip to San Francisco this weekend for three matches against Air Force, San Francisco and Miami (Fla.), which will be take place Friday and Saturday.

— Compiled by Assistant Sports Editor Daniel Astle