Soccer, Sports, Women's Sports

Women’s soccer team misses Big West Tournament with 2-1 loss to UC Riverside

The Long Beach State and UC Riverside women’s soccer teams entered Sunday’s season-concluding match at George Allen Field uncertain but still hopeful of a playoff bid.

Barring a draw, however, only one team would be guaranteed to move onto next weekend’s Big West Tournament.

With only three shots on the day and down 1-0 by halftime, a second-half surge by the ‘Niners (8-7-3, 2-3-3 Big West) came up just short of extending their season as they fell 2-1 to the Highlanders (7-12-1, 4-4-0 Big West).

“We were so close, but it’s disappointing not to close it out at home, honestly,” head coach Mauricio Ingrassia said.

Before the game had concluded, UC Santa Barbara and Cal State Fullerton lost their respective games, meaning that the Big West’s third seed was entirely dependent on the winner between LBSU and UCR.

The 49ers fell behind UCR quickly. The Highlanders were awarded two corner kicks within the first five minutes and capitalized on LBSU’s slow start shortly after.

Only 10 minutes had passed in the match before UCR took an early lead. Midfielder Amber Marani put up a free kick that found its way to the forehead of forward Tyler Cunningham, who proceeded to net the ball with a perfectly-executed header that put the Highlanders up 1-0.

“I think we came out in the first half, we came out a little bit hesitant, and you can’t do that in a game like this,” Ingrassia said.  “And combine that with the wind [being] against us a little bit, and that was a little bit of a factor.”

The ‘Niners took the field in the second half looking a lot more energized and competed for possession more. Even so, Cunningham managed to extend the Highlanders’ lead with another goal just six minutes after halftime.

Cunningham netted the goal with a wide-open shot past goalkeeper Kaci McCain on a breakaway run down the left side of the field. Three minutes later, the ‘Niners answered.

A 2-0 LBSU deficit was cut in half in a similar fashion to UCR’s first goal, as Taylor Nelson headed a ball directed to her on a free kick by Regan Smithers.

The ‘Niners outshot the Highlanders 8-5 in the second half but couldn’t get the equalizing shot in the net despite two close attempts by freshman Celeste Dominguez within two minutes of each other.

With LBSU aggressively attacking for a tying goal and UCR beefing up its defensive effort down the stretch, Dominguez saw an open look in the 74th minute but lofted the ball just over the net.

Dominguez tried again in the 75th minute with a header, but it diverted too far to the right to successfully notch the equalizer.

In the end, Sunday’s match ultimately became The Beach’s final game of 2013 and final collegiate game of the 49ers’five seniors. Eileen Maes, Cheyenne Saban, Jessica Osegura,

Kristen Benavidez and Kassidy Hause were given a pregame ceremony complete with individual announcements over the PA system and bouquets of flowers handed to them on the field.

“We’ve put ourselves, I think, in a good spot for next season,” Ingrassia said. “I think when the pain of the loss goes away, we did some things that are important in order for us to go forward.”