Sports, Women's Basketball, Women's Sports

BASKETBALL GUIDE: Hallie Meneses is back in action

What was supposed to be a routine practice in preparation for the 2012-13 basketball season turned grave for redshirt junior point guard Hallie Meneses.

On Oct. 8, 2012, Meneses was practicing jump-stop drills when she heard  her right knee pop.

“I just knew I was done,” Meneses said. “You don’t hear three pops and [know] you’re OK.”

Following an examination, it was revealed that Meneses had torn her ACL, an injury that would leave her off the court for nearly 12 months.

“I was hurting emotionally because I worked hard all summer [2012],” Meneses said. “I was so excited and when that happened, I felt ‘Why me? Why now?’”

Meneses said the diagnosis made her realize she wouldn’t have the opportunity to play with her teammates.

“Mentally, you have to accept the fact you will be isolated from your teammates,” Meneses said. “I knew my teammates understood I would be coming back.”

In the year before her injury, Meneses led the Long Beach State women’s basketball team in assists (105). She ranked second in steals (47) and 3-pointers made (33) during the 2011-12 season.

LBSU women’s basketball head coach Jody Wynn said Meneses remained optimistic following her injury.

“The moment [Meneses] found out, she said, ‘Coach, I got this,’” Wynn said.

LBSU junior guard Alex Sanchez said Meneses learned a lot while she sat out the 2012-13 season.

“Off the court, she learned a lot. She was like another coach,” Sanchez said.

Sanchez added that Meneses has learned a lot since transferring to LBSU from the City College of San Francisco.

“She came in as a transfer sophomore [and] her mentality was totally different than what we had here,” Sanchez said. “As time went on, she started listening to what the coaches had to say and [started] trusting them.”

Sanchez said that she and Meneses have now become friends on and off the court.

“She’s one of my good friends,” Sanchez said. “As time goes on, we’re building on this relationship. I trust her.”

Since Meneses was cleared to play earlier this month, Wynn said the team dynamic has changed for the better.

“Meneses is our steering wheel to our car,” Wynn said. “[With Meneses], physically we’re a better team, but emotionally we are much more stable.”

After Wynn let her rehab during practice, Meneses said she is ready to play on the team.

“I’m excited, there’s no doubt,” she said. “We have returners. They are always so willing to learn.”

As the season nears, Wynn said Meneses has shown improvement.

“She’s come a long way,” Wynn said. “She’s been the most mentally tough young lady I’ve ever coached that’s gone through an ACL injury.”

Although Meneses has been cleared to play, Wynn said she is still working up to her full potential.

“I wouldn’t say she’s 100 percent,” Wynn said. “She’s working to 100 percent every day … She’s had a tremendous October, and we’re really excited to have her be our engine.”