49ers hang tough, ultimately fall at North Carolina State

The Long Beach State men’s basketball team lost its ninth straight game Saturday, this time in a 76-66 defeat at the hands of North Carolina State.

Despite jumping out to an early lead and trailing by just one point with 12:40 left to play, the 49ers (1-9) were outlasted by the Wolfpack (6-2) and forward T.J. Warren. Warren finished with 23 points, 11 of which came after the 12:40 mark in the second half.

LBSU charged out to a 10-6 lead behind six points from Dan Jennings. NC State evened the score at 10 one minute late, though, and the teams exchanged points until the Wolfpack went on an 11-4 run to go into the locker room with a 36-29 lead.

After being held to just two points in the first half, LBSU point guard Mike Caffey exploded to start the second, scoring six of the 49ers’ first eight points in the first four minutes.

Caffey helped LBSU close the gap to one point three minutes later when he made an and-one to make it 50-49 NC State.

The 49ers would never get closer, though, as Warren went on a tear and provided the Wolfpack with a 12-point cushion with five minutes to play. NC State ultimately won 76-66.

The 49ers will now return to the Walter Pyramid, where they will face Southern California and Montana State-Billings this weekend.