Commentary, Sports

Super Bowl Commentary: The Broncos are more than a one-man team, and they will show it against Seattle

Brace yourselves! You knew the moment the Pro Bowl passed that you were going to be bombarded with a stream of Super Bowl conscience. How right you are.

I’m not going to bore you with debate over Peyton Manning’s legacy … yet. This one’s for all the Vegas hopefuls. Here’s why the Denver Broncos deserve your pick on Sunday.

OFFENSE
Peyton Manning is one of the greatest quarterbacks of all time. Demaryius Thomas, Eric Decker, and Wes Welker make for one of the most explosive trios of receivers that a quarterback has ever had to work with.

I’m aware that no one has called the weather man off the hunt, and he is still predicting a blizzard. Still, I have too much respect for the multi-dimensionality of the Broncos offense. Knowshon Moreno and Montee Ball are both good receivers out of the backfield.

DEFENSE
The Wisconsin wonder child Russell Wilson has looked rattled in the playoffs. If the magic does not return early in the game for the sophomore slinger, Denver’s front seven will be up to the task of stopping Marshawn Lynch.

The Broncos defense has only gotten healthier as the year’s gone on with Champ Bailey and Von Miller rounding into form. Denver has been the best team against the run in the postseason, allowing just 64.5 yards on the ground per game.

COACHING
Facing the exuberance of Pete Carroll is a tall order. The former USC Trojan great breathes life into the entire Seattle sideline. If Denver has anything going for them, it’s that John Fox went to the Super Bowl with the Carolina Panthers in 2004.

SPECIAL TEAMS
Denver can claim a sizable victory in this category. Matt Prater set the NFL record with a 64-yard field goal on Dec. 8 versus the Titans. In the return game, few are more dangerous than Trindon Holliday. If Fox can look past Holliday’s fumbling problems, the Broncos could have a major advantage in field position.

KEY INGREDIENT
OMAHA! (Steaks)