Long Beach State rebounds from tough loss

After a heartbreaking loss to UC Santa Barbara on Thursday, the Long Beach State men’s basketball team came back with a strong effort to beat Cal Poly, 74-65.

With soon-to-be LBSU president Jane Close Conoley in attendance, the 49ers (11-14, 7-4 Big West Conference) controlled the second half and ultimately put away the Mustangs (9-15, 5-6 Big West).

The win came two days after UCSB spoiled an LBSU comeback attempt with a last-second win made thanks to a buzzer-beating layup by Michael Bryson.

“We didn’t win on Thursday, but it wasn’t because our guys didn’t compete or play hard,” head coach Dan Monson said. “I’m proud of them, and I think we’re going to continue to get better because of their attitude and their effort.”

Anxious to get back on the court following Thursday’s loss, the 49ers found themselves in the middle of another close game on Saturday. Defense ruled early, as the score was just 11-9 eight minutes into the game.

The scoring picked up during the last three minutes of the first half, though, and LBSU went into the locker room leading, 28-26.

It was more of the same to start the second half, as both teams traded baskets amid defensive struggles. Cal Poly even took a 31-30 lead with 18:04 to go, but A.J. Spencer hit a layup 30 seconds later to put The Beach back on top.

The 49ers would hold that lead for the rest of the game, gradually increasing it the rest of the way.

With LBSU pulling away and a win becoming more and more certain, junior guard Mike Caffey gave the Pyramid even more to cheer about. He drained a 3-pointer with 6:25 left on the clock, giving him 1,000 points for his LBSU career.

“It’s an honor to be in that group; a lot of great players have played here,” Caffey said.

After the game, Monson joked that he didn’t know Caffey was close to hitting the milestone.

“That’s a pretty big deal,” he said. “We’ll give you a pat on the back, and I think we give you a ceremonial ball for that eventually.”

Back on the court, the 49ers cruised for the rest of the game, ultimately winning, 74-65.

Leading The Beach offensively were Tyler Lamb (19 points), Caffey (18) and Dan Jennings (12). The 49ers are now 5-1 in conference play when Lamb and Caffey finish with double-digit point totals.

“We’re supposed to, I wouldn’t say carry the team offensively, but we’re supposed to be engaged on the offensive end,” Caffey said. “It helps the whole team out when we’re engaged.”

Monson said he was most proud of the team’s defense. The 49ers held Cal Poly’s leading scorer, forward Chris Eversley, to three points for most of the game.

“There was just an awareness for him,” Monson said. “Defensively, I thought our guys locked into the game plan … I really thought we disrupted well.”

The 49ers only have one game to prepare for this week, as they will travel to UC Davis on Thursday and have Saturday off. Thursday’s tip-off is set for 7 p.m.