Men's Sports, Men's Volleyball, Sports

LBSU men’s volleyball team takes down No. 8 Stanford, Pacific

After taking down No.8 Stanford 3-1 (25-27, 25-23, 25-18 and 25-23) and sweeping Pacific (25-15, 25-19 and 25-18 ), the Long Beach State men’s volleyball team jumped to third place in the Mountain Pacific Sports Federation.

No. 5 LBSU (11-4, 10-4 MPSF) has won seven of its last eight matches and snatched its fourth straight win after this past weekend.

“I am very happy with the results and what the team has shown,” head coach Alan Knipe said. “The guys continue to come out strong and resilient; and we will go right back to work and hopefully continue winning.”

The 49ers stayed ahead most of the first set against Stanford (9-7, 6-7 MPSF) until the Cardinal scored seven straight points to pull ahead 16-13. It commanded the lead until two Taylor Crabb kills put LBSU up 21-20. From there, it became a seesaw competition as the remainder of the set comprised of five tie scores, with neither team trailing by more than a point. Cardinal’s James Shaw showcased a kill to end the set at 27-25.

Stanford carried its momentum into the second set as it opened with a 6-2 run. With 14 tie scores and seven lead changes, both teams went neck and neck until a Crabb kill made another two-point difference set with a score of 25-23.

Roles switched as the 49ers took their momentum into the third set and didn’t trail once. They snatched the win as they quickly ended the set at 25-18.

As the Cardinal fought for survival, the 49ers fought to claim victory with the fourth set being the last. With 13 tie scores and four lead changes, neither team trailed by more than two points the entire set until Jeff Ornee gave the 49ers a match-point advantage at 24-21. The Cardinal scored the next two points to cut the difference by one at 24-23, but a Steven Irvin service error ended any chance for a Cardinal comeback at 25-23.

The Cardinal were led by Brian Cook with 21 kills and 13 digs, and Steven Irvin with 14 kills and 13 digs. Eric Mochalski contributed 14 kills.

Crabb put on a flawless show as he obtained a match-high 22 kills with zero errors and hit a .379 clip along with 11 digs. Andrew Sato racked up a match-high 15 digs.

Crabb continues to be a driving force for the 49ers as he racked up match-high kills and his fifth double-double against Pacific (2-15, 1-13 MPSF) the following night. Having been the only 49er to register double-digit kills, Crabb racked up 18 kills with two errors for a .522 clip.

While Dalton Ammerman chipped in seven kills and 10 digs, Ornee hit an impressive .833 with five kills and zero errors out of six attempts.

Pacific was paced by Thomas Hodges, the only Tiger to register double-digit statistics across the board, with 12 kills.

The 49ers will take on national No. 2 and conference-leading Brigham Young Friday and Cal Baptist on Saturday. Both matches begin at 7 p.m.

Thank you, I’ve just been looking for info about this topic for a long time and yours is the greatest
    I’ve found out till now. However, what in regards
    to the conclusion? Are you certain concerning the source?