Sports, Women's Basketball, Women's Sports

49er women to host CSUN for Senior Night

After 18 weeks,  28 games, 1,977 points scored, one post game engagement and numerous obstacles faced along the way, the Long Beach State women’s basketball team is scheduled for its final week of regular season action. LBSU will take on first-place Cal State Northridge on Thursday and ninth-place UC Riverside on Saturday.

The 49ers will play host to the Matadors on Senior Night before making the quick drive to Riverside two days later to close out their regular season. Both games are scheduled for a 7 p.m. tip-off. Tempe, Ariz., native Jade Wilson, who has been LBSU’s lone senior this season, is averaging a team-high 5.7 rebounds per game with 45 steals and 33 blocked shots.

“[Wilson] came back this fall in great shape and dedicated herself to becoming the best player she could be,” head coach Jody Wynn said. “First year was soaking it in and this year she’s been able to play a lot freer. There was never a day where she’s short changed us or provided negative energy in practice. She’s been a joy to coach … and we want her to go out on top.”

While the ‘Niners dropped from third to fifth in the Big West standings after losing back-to-back games last week, The Beach could finish as low as the No. 7 seed and as high as the No. 3 seed. However, coach Wynn only sees one advantage in coming in as the higher seed.

“The obvious advantage is playing three games instead of four instead of bye situation,” Wynn said. “But as far as who we play, we’re just gonna be happy to be playing. Survive and advance come March. We’ll be ready.”

But if they want a chance to return to the top three, the 49ers will have to close out the season with back-to-back wins. The last time the ‘Niners faced both teams, they fell 77-54 on Jan. 25 against the Matadors and defeated the Highlanders 65-52 on Feb. 8.

When the 49ers visited The Matadome in January, the loss was their fourth straight road loss of the season and last time they were below .500 against Big West teams. The Beach struggled to find a rhythm offensively, shooting 35.2 percent from the field and 26.3 percent from long distance. The Matadors also managed to register 53 rebounds to LBSU’s 25.

Northridge opened the game on a 7-0 run that would hold the lead the rest of the way, despite the 49ers brought it to five with a Lauren Spargo jumper with 3:13 left in the half. The ‘Niners were unable to mount a comeback and the Matadors held a double digit lead for the rest of the way.

“We’ll need a concentrated effort on guarding the ball and not allowing uncontested shots … four of the greatest scorers in our league. They’re talented and can score in a variety of ways. Defensively we’re gonna mix things up like we always do and really try to have a more concentrated effort on cleaning up the defensive glass.”

When the Highlanders were last at the Walter Pyramid, the 49ers used a balanced effort to hold onto a 65-52 win with four of eight players scoring in double figures. The first half saw streaky shooting from both sides but the ‘Niners had a stronger second half and managed to fend off a late run that cut the lead to four at the half.

But the 49ers were able to regroup in the second half and increased their lead to double figures.

LBSU will host the first round and quarterfinals of the Big West Tournament at the Walter Pyramid, March 11-12 with the semifinals and finals being held at the Honda Center in Anaheim, March 14-15.