Dirtbags attendance up 34.5 percent

The ticket-takers and turnstiles at Blair Field are busier this year than they have been in the recent past.

Nearly 400 more fans are attending Dirtbags games this year in comparison to last, according to data provided by the Long Beach State athletics department. That is a number that is making the bleachers at Blair Field look more like they did when LBSU was fielding future MLB All-Stars Jered Weaver, Evan Longoria and Troy Tulowitzki.

“That used to be the norm,” head coach Troy Buckley said. “Attendance in Southern California is always challenging because there are so many options and so many things going on. This is a city that really supports its programs, and if you win, there is a ton of energy there.”

The average of 1493 fans filling the seats isn’t the only attendance number that is looking better for LBSU. The Dirtbags have also seen individual game crowds crack the top 20 all-time at LBSU, the most recent of which came on Sunday. LBSU defeated defending national champion UCLA in front of 2,582 faithful, the 20th-largest attendance the Dirtbags have ever seen at a home game.

The series against the Bruins as a whole also registered healthy attendance numbers, as the two home games combined to bring 4,168 fans to the park, good for 26th all-time for a series.

“Seeing Blair packed is the way we think it always should be,” Buckley said. “We have obligations to deliver on our end of the deal and hopefully people will continue to come out because it’s been really fun.”

Buckley attributed the increase to efforts by the LBSU marketing staff, specifically those of Assistant Director of Marketing Tanya Moran.

“You have to give her credit for her relationships in the city and her getting out there and being creative as far as giveaways and promotions,” Buckley said.

Dedan Brozino, Senior Associate Athletics Director of External Relations and Communications at LBSU, said Moran and the marketing staff have worked with partners like the Stramski Center at Miller Children’s Hospital and Angels 4 Our Troops.

“Tanya Moran and our marketing crew have worked to best align our program with community partners that have helped us grow the Dirtbags brand in Long Beach,” Brozino said.

He added that LBSU’s partnership with Angels 4 Our Troops has supported “Salute to the Services Sundays,” during which service men and woman are granted free admission.

Another reason for the Dirtbags’ increased attendance this season has to do with tough scheduling, Buckley said. While LBSU has always played difficult opponents, many of them local, this year it has had the opportunity to host them.

Several ranked teams have played games at Blair Field this season, including UCLA, Arizona State, Indiana and Vanderbilt. The Dirtbags will continue to host ranked teams during Big West play, as Cal State Fullerton, UC Santa Barbara and Cal Poly are all top 25 teams.

“We’ve played good teams,” Buckley said. “When you bring Indiana, Vanderbilt and UCLA, you should have a good turnout because it’s good baseball. People enjoy watching good baseball.”

On the field, the Dirtbags have had an up-and-down season, as they currently sit at .500 with a 15-15 record. But with promotions like a Star Wars-themed “May the 4th Be With You” game and an “80’s Night” on the horizon, all signs point to the Dirtbags continuing to see those Blair Field bleachers filling up.