Softball, Sports, Women's Sports

Long Beach State to try to get back on track in Northridge

Coming off two crushing losses to No. 2 UCLA, the Long Beach State softball team finds itself in unfamiliar territory as it returns to conference to play a three game series at Cal State Northridge.

The 49ers (33-13, 10-2 Big West) will try to rebound against the Matadors (29-19, Big West 6-6) having now dropped four out of their last five games. The 49ers had not lost consecutive games through their first 41 games. They’ve now lost back-to-back games twice in their last five games.

Head coach Kim Sowder said she isn’t too worried about the team’s recent stretch, emphasizing the importance of maintaining focus on the positive things.

“I think this is a time we just need to work through it and have leadership and continue to work hard,” Sowder said. “I thought we did some great things against UCLA. They’re a really good team, obviously with only four losses on the season. To be one strike away, it’s really tough to swallow if you’re a competitor.”
Sowder said she loved the team’s confidence against UCLA, especially the way they played defense and hit UCLA’s strong pitching.

“We have to learn how each of us can get better in certain situations,” Sowder said. “People that are struggling hitting have been working hard. I thought Darian [Tautalafua] hit the ball really well; she really looked like her old self.”

The 49ers will start the series Saturday with a doubleheader at noon. Although their overall record is strong, the Matadors have been up-and-down in conference play, rallying just to get to .500. They had lost five in a row, including being swept by UC Santa Barbara, before sweeping UC Riverside.

“They have some new players. They’re playing well, they just won three straight and they’re a much improved team,” Sowder said. “It’s gonna be a battle. We’re gonna have to play good softball in order to have success.”

The Matadors boast some of the best players in the Big West in outfielder Taylor Glover and pitcher Brianna Elder. Glover, only a freshman, leads the conference in runs batted in (44), is fifth in batting average (.388), and ranks third in stolen bases with 17. Elder, a junior, ranks in the top three in wins (20), earned run average (1.88), and strikeouts (117). The 49ers faced Elder last year in a 2-0 victory at the 49er Softball Complex.

“We have to mainly focus on what we need to do better.”

The 49ers conclude the series on Sunday at noon.