Dirtbags claim second place in conference after series win against UC Irvine

The Dirtbags had one last chance to prove to the country that they belong in the playoffs for the first time since 2008.

The Dirtbags entered their final weekend series of the season with a 29-24 overall record. Their 14-7 record in conference was good for third in the Big West, behind their final opponent UC Irvine. Their RPI was 47th in the country, and many pundits figured that with a 30-win season against one of the toughest schedules in the country, the Dirtbags had a realistic shot at the postseason. A series win against UC Irvine would lock the Dirtbags into regionals.

Over the long season, the Dirtbags have won in a variety of ways. In an interview with College Baseball Daily, head coach Troy Buckley said that the last thing the Dirtbags needed to show that they could win when trailing. The Dirtbags got their chance in Thursday night’s 3-2 victory.

The Dirtbags went into the eighth inning with a 1-0 lead. Starting pitcher Andrew Rohrbach gave up his first run of the game on a single and was pulled for Ty Provencher. Provencher gave up  a scoring fly ball, but ended the eighth inning trailing 2-1.

With runners on the corners, Long Beach State’s leading RBI man, Richard Prigatano, came through and singled up the middle to drive in the tying run. After a hit-by-pitch loaded the bases, freshman Daniel Jackson came in to pinch hit. He took four straight balls to drive in the game-winning run.

Provencher stayed out for the ninth inning and retired the Anteaters in order to preserve the one run victory. Thursday’s win gave the Dirtbags a 30-win season for the first time in the Buckley era.

Fans could breathe a little easier on Friday, as the Dirtbags ran away with a 10-1 victory to clinch a series win over UCI.

Prigatano picked up right where he left off on Thursday, with a two-run double in the first inning.

Irvine did nothing to help themselves in the game, committing three errors that led to three unearned runs for the Dirtbags.

The only innings the Dirtbags didn’t score in were the third and the sixth.

The outburst came in support of starter Josh Frye, who has been tremendous in his senior season. The Millikan High product went eight innings of one-run ball in his final career start at Blair Field. He finished the season with a perfect 9-0 record and a 1.51 ERA.

For good measure, the Dirtbags completed the sweep on Senior Day in a 2-1 win on Saturday.

Nick Sabo, who started game one for the Dirtbags in February, started the finale and went 6.1 solid innings. He gave up a run and the Dirtbags couldn’t figure out Irvine starter Evan Brock until the eighth inning. Colby Brenner singled and Garrett Hampson doubled with one out. The Anteaters intentionally walked Ino Patron to load the bases, and Prigatano made them pay with a two-run double down the left field line.

Provencher got the last three outs to end the regular season for the Dirtbags, who finished with a 32-24 overall record, and 17-7 in conference. The Dirtbags only lost one conference series all season, dropping two of three at UC Davis.

Patron finishes his career with 232 hits, which is Long Beach State’s third all-time. Patron is also third all-time in games played with 220 and first all-time in career starts with 216.

The Dirtbags await their fate for the regionals, which will air tomorrow morning at 9 a.m. on ESPNU.