Long Beach State athletics will enhance its brand

Long Beach State Athletics will be tweaking its brand by implementing subtle changes to existing logos, creating a third logo and redesigning thecourt in the Walter Pyramid starting in October and continuing into next summer, according to the athletics press release.

Parties involved in the decision to re fresh the Long Beach State brand hope that these efforts ultimately create a consistent image for the students, community and campus to be proud of.

“As athletics continue to win championships and bring pride to campus and community stakeholders, it is important that we have a unified approach to ensure that we maximize the pride that we all share,” said Dedan Brozino, senior associate athletics director for external relations and communications.

University representatives are supportive of the athletics department’s efforts, and expect to continue improving not only the athletics brand, but also the university as a whole.

“We laud their efforts to improve their department’s brand, and that they are focused on developing more effective ways to communicate the achievements of our student athletes,” said Terri Carbough, associate vice president for legislative and external relations. “When one part of the university is telling its story and doing well, it is benefitting the entire university.”

As a result of recent successes in athletics, a $100,000 donation was given by a group of alumni, which will remain unnamed until the homecoming basketball game on November 15. The gift will be used to fund future athletics enhancements as the department will look to improve areas in coaching, facilities, offices and anything else that could help achieve its vision for LBSU athletics.

According to Brozino, the monetary gift will be used to add images to the walls within the athletics facility, which are currently “white, and kind of plain.” The donor group has been meeting and working with the athletics department on a weekly basis to help facilitate this strengthened image for athletics.

“I believe that the new look will be good for athletics and will make us look more attractive and viable as a place to go to watch and play competitive sports,” said ASI President Joseph Phillips. “ We have some of the best teams in the nation and it is only right that we try to do everything we can to promote our athletes.”