Moving on from the World Cup

With the World Cup now firmly in our memories, the soccer world returns to business as usual as clubs try to improve via the transfer window.

Soccer’s summer transfer season, which lasts from July 1 to August 31, is rampant with speculation and false rumors. Though it could be very entertaining for fans to follow, clubs tend to avoid media outlets in order to not get caught up with the wave of lies.

There have been, however, several confirmed reports of major player movement since the end of the World Cup. It all started with volatile superstar Luis Suarez being purchased from Liverpool of the English Premier League by Spanish powerhouse Barcelona for a transfer fee of $128 million.

Suarez desperately needed a fresh start after his infamous World Cup, where he wound up being suspended four months because he bit an opponent. He’ll be in a great situation with Barca, surrounded by fellow superstars Lionel Messi and Neymar.

It didn’t take long for people to notice Golden Boot winner James Rodriguez, by far the most impressive player at the World Cup. The Colombian superstar was acquired by Real Madrid for a transfer fee of $108 million.

Rodriguez was at his best when everyone was watching, but he is joining an absurdly crowded attack in Real Madrid. Cristiano Ronaldo, Karim Benzema, Gareth Bale, Luka Modriç, Isco and Sami Khedira are all high-paid stars who need playing time. But, having too much talent is never a bad thing.

Along with major player movement, several high-profile stars have announced their retirements from the respective national teams. Philipp Lahm, Germany’s World Cup-winning captain, announced that he’s retiring after 10 years with the national club. The decision came as a bit of a surprise, as Lahm is still only 30 years old. The defender finished with 113 caps, just 37 from the all-time record held by Lothar Matthäus.

Steven Gerrard, another major fixture for his national team, announced his retirement from England after 14 years. The English captain finished with 21 goals in 114 caps. Though he’s had a brilliant career with Club Liverpool, Gerrard has been a part of many recent underachieving English squads.

With the transfer season also comes preseason competition, during which some of the best clubs in the world travel to other countries to play friendlies. This is a great chance for fans to catch their favorite teams in person, when normally that opportunity wouldn’t be available.

For the start of its annual U.S. Tour, Manchester United will travel to Los Angeles to play the MLS’ Galaxy. Man U’s new manager, Louis Van Gaal, is fresh off a successful World Cup run as Holland’s manager. In addition to playing the Galaxy, Man U will play Serie A’s Roma and Inter Milan, and finish off against Real Madrid in Ann Arbor, Michigan.