Early tests for men’s basketball

Long Beach State isn’t exactly known for playing in the most celebrated conference in Division I basketball, but this upcoming season’s schedule showcases a competitive preseason run, as they will be playing eight teams that made it to the NCAA tournament in the 2013-14 campaign, including three (UCLA, Louisville and San Diego State) that advanced to the Sweet 16.

Last season, the 49ers played a couple notable basketball schools from the Pac-12 and the McDermotts of the Big East’s Creighton, but this preseason will not only allow The Beach to outgrow their mid-major reference, but to show the basketball community and their own, some guts and hopefully, some glory to go with them.

“As we continue our quest to build our program into one of national prominence it begins with a national schedule,” head coach Dan Monson said in a press release. “I think we’ve done that again this year. The next step is to get to the point where we’re not just playing these national teams, but experiencing success against them, which is the goal for this season and moving forward.”

After homecoming, a dual against the team with the most championships in NCAA basketball history (UCLA), and a few games in between, the challenge will begin with the last four games on the road.

The first will be against Texas and St. John’s within a two-day period, then following the Christmas holiday, the 49ers will return to the Big Apple to face Syracuse and the 2013 NCAA champions, Louisville.

With Monson’s determination to build his program and a few additions from high-major level schools, The Beach may be looking at a short road to gaining a better reputation while losing its mid-major reference.