Men's Sports, Men's Water Polo, Sports

The Beach continues to outscore opponents

With the scorching sun overhead, the fifth-ranked Long Beach State men’s water polo team defeated Whittier College 16-7 and Claremont-Mudd-Scripps 18-5.

The hot and dry temperature of 107 degrees Sunday afternoon had little effect on the play of the team at the Inland Empire Tournament as they outscored both teams by more than half.

Senior center Dan Matilus and attacker Nick Rascon got the game going in LBSU’s favor after Matilus scored the first two goals of against Whittier to put his team in the lead.

At the end of the first half, they led 9-5 and didn’t look back in the second half, adding seven goals to protect their lead.

“We were not at our best,” head coach Gavin Arroyo said. “But they’re one of the best teams in their league (Southern California Intercollegiate Athletic Association).”

During the second game, the Beach’s defense dominated Claremont, allowing only one goal and outscoring them by 13 goals.

With the pair of wins, LBSU continues their undefeated streak this against non-conference opponents and improved to 5-0 overall record.

“I am pleased with our results,” Arroyo said. “We look forward to the NorCal Tournament and our opener against Pepperdine.”

The day before the tournament, the 49ers were able to compete against three [Stanford, UCLA and Pepperdine] top-tier teams in three-quarter exhibition games instead of full games.

Stanford and UCLA are the No. 1 and No. 2 ranked teams in the Mountain Pacific Sports Federations Coaches’ Poll. After playing them, the team knows what to expect once regular season begins.

Arroyo also said that Saturday’s games added some confidence and preparation for the 49ers going into Sunday’s doubleheader.

“Being able to stay with them raised our standards,” Arroyo said. “Coming into [Sunday], we know who we are, where we’re at and where we need to go.”