Sports, Women's Sports, Women's Volleyball

Women’s volleyball, not up to par

If there’s anything Long Beach State is known for, it’s the success of its sports programs.

The women’s volleyball team hasn’t been living up to its expectations.

We don’t have a football team, and the basketball team is still working to lose its mid-major association.

Besides the Dirtbags, the women’s volleyball team is probably the most highly acclaimed sports program on campus.

Under head coach Brian Gimmillaro, who brought the program to life when he took over 30 years ago, the team has won three national championships (1998, 1993, 1989), appeared in eight Final Fours, 13 NCAA Regionals and 26 NCAA Tournaments. The team also ranks sixth in the nation for most wins.

Of course, I can’t forget to mention Misty May-Treanor, Tara Cross-Battle and Danielle Scott-Arruda, all of whom are or have been among the best players in the world with Olympic recognition.

Somewhere in between collecting awards and producing Olympians, Gimmillaro’s team has slowly deteriorated. That’s not to say that the team is mediocre. It’s just that the team is not living up to the usual expectations. And, unfortunately, they probably won’t make it very far this season either. Here’s why:

• Passing isn’t all there.

Passing might not be the most important thing, but in a sense, it is. Without a good pass, a setter’s options are limited. And if the passing is bad enough, the chance to make a play is eliminated. The team that prevents the ball from hitting the floor the least, usually wins.

Tyler Jackson is the best passer on the team next to Chelsea Cabrajac. But every person who sets foot on the court needs to know how to pass. Losing even just a couple points from bad passes can shift the momentum of an entire game. The team understands losing close games all too well.

• They don’t have enough effective hitters.

A good team can get by with at least two go-to hitters. A tournament qualifier or winner will have more. Being able to utilize all hitters in all positions on the court and not saying, “oh crap,” once your best hitter goes to the back row, will separate a team from being good and being great.

Alex Reid is the 49ers’ best hitter right now. She hasn’t changed much from last season, but next to Bre Mackie, she has the best arm swing and contact.

Reid is probably the strongest hitter on the team, but she doesn’t have enough shots to effectively put her team above average.

Chisom Okpala should be the best player on the team. She definitely has hops, but not enough consistency. A lot of her kills are fluky, and against a tough team, she will need more than luck and athleticism. Although Ashley Murray is still getting used to transitioning from the pace of high school athletics, she has contributed a load in blocking and attacking. She needs to be put into the game plan more.

• They’re too timid.

Excitement and passion need to bleed onto the court, and the fans should be able to feel that. They need to be able to make mistakes then shake it off instead of having disappointment written all over their faces. Not only do they get down on themselves once mistakes are made, but half the team looks intimidated and inexperienced, even if they’re not.

It’s not Gimmillaro’s fault. It’s not like the players aren’t trying to be the best they could be. I don’t know if it’s because there are more distractions to keep the players from being in tip-top shape or that the same passion that ran through May-Treanor’s veins is lacking. Maybe they just need more time to mesh and get used to playing as a team and individually get stronger. Whatever it is, it’s apparent that this team is not at the caliber that it needs to be.