Sports, Women's Sports, Women's Volleyball

Four seniors. Four years. Four leaders.

Bre Mackie, Chelsea Cabrajac, Chisom Okpala and Tyler Jackson have played together on the Long Beach State women’s volleyball team since their freshman year, but injuries to the lineup this season have pushed them to adapt to new positions.

“We have the most experience,” Cabrajac said. “A lot of the younger players look up to us, so we need to be examples for them on and off the court [and] make it easier and more comfortable for them on the court.”

Sophomore Joy Miley injured her eye during the match against Fresno State in the Roadrunner Classic Tournament, and Jackson and Cabrajac took on different positions when the team needed them to.

Jackson was inserted into the front row as an outside hitter instead of her usual libero position, and Cabrajac played as the libero in the Oregon State game.

“The last time I hit was in high school, so I was like, ‘Do I even still know how to do this?’” said Jackson. “It was a lot of pressure, [and] I felt like the team was really counting on me for certain plays, but the team made me feel comfortable…I was more anxious than anything.”

Okpala missed three games after pulling her abdominal and hip flexor, but she returned to the lineup in the LBSU/LMU Tournament mid-September.

“It was hard,” said Okpala. “It was hard to just watch, and [it was] boring.”

Since returning, Okpala has bounced back strong, recording a .364 hitting percentage, 98 kills and 36 blocks over the past 10 games.

She also made LBSU history during conference this season against Cal State Fullerton hitting a nearly perfect game, going 10 for 11 with no errors. Okpala tied with 1997 LBSU alumna Nique Crump, who also had the same stat line for the second-best mark in the 49ers’ history, according to the Long Beach State athletic website.

“It’s their last year so obviously they want to win and take advantage of everything,” freshman Ashley Murray said. “And because injuries have led us to have to change rotations, they have to change positions sometimes and they’ve been doing a really good job of doing that.”

Mackie’s performance has continued to improve since her freshman year with 125 kills, 68 total blocks and a .251 hitting percentage. Last year, she racked up 232 kills, 84 total blocks and .273 hitting. Mackie now leads the team with 70 blocks and is second with 151 kills behind junior Alex Reid.

Mackie switched between her normal outside hitter position and the middle blocker position while Okpala was out.

“I think as a senior, we have a lot of experience with different roles, and know what each position has to do,” Mackie said. “We’re leaders, and we need to fill those positions correctly and do what’s needed.”

She also started serving regularly during her senior year and spent time in the back row afterwards.

“They’ve done a really good job with just coping with all the injuries and being willing to take on the different roles in the different positions, but still not take away from their own personality when they play the roles that they’re naturally in,” sophomore transfer Sophie Bukovec said. “They’ve been doing a really good job in terms of just doing what’s best for the team.”

Okpala only played in two sets her freshman season, totaling one kill and one hitting error, but said she never gave up.

“My freshman year, I was learning everything,” Okpala said. “[It] was really tough because I didn’t play, so there were times [when I wanted] to give up and quit.”

She broke out her sophomore year as an Honorable Mention All-American earning First-Team All-Region and First-Team All-Big West honors. Okpala was also on the All-Big West First Team and earned AVCA All-Region Honorable mention during her junior year.

Jackson played in every set her entire college career, exceeding her previous number of digs every year.

“My freshman year I think I was holding back a little bit, and now I’m just trying to focus on trying to get more out of the team,” Jackson said. “I had to start off the game with a jump serve and had my first like, ‘Oh my god am I going to trip, am I going to fall?’ I was really scared.”

As a freshman, Jackson had 243 digs playing as a defensive specialist and led the team with 29 service aces. She played primarily as the team’s libero during her sophomore year, and had 342 digs. Jackson played as the team’s libero again her junior season, and racked up 393 digs, with 3.42 digs per set.

“Jackson has been the biggest example for me,” Bukovec said. “She’s really helped me a lot with my passing. I kind of see her as an older sister on the team. She’s helped me [stay] grounded and just helped me push through all the tough times on the team, so I really respect the relationship I have with her.”

Although the seniors said they have felt the pressure rising, they also said it’s their experience and knowledge of how the team is run that helps them become better leaders.

“I don’t think I have to feel like I have to set an example,” Mackie said. “It’s just we’re the ones that know everything and we have so much experience that it’s easy for us to be that way.”

Jackson and Cabrajac are the team captains, and Mackie and Okpala aren’t, but they all said they feel the need to lead the team and become an example for the younger players.

“[It just goes] back to setting good examples on and off the court,” Mackie said. “How to go for balls or not letting balls drop and going as hard as you need to go so your younger players copy that idea.”

With a new team that has eight new 49ers this year – five of which are freshmen – the seniors said they will continue to lend their guidance to the younger players.

“Our goal is to get everyone to buy in to what Brian [Gimmillaro] has to offer,” Cabrajac said. “His coaching style, what the program has to offer, the history of the program, and to want to be a part of it and to keep that tradition going.”

“It’s really nice to be able to work with people for a four-year period, and four healthy people,” head coach Brian Gimmillaro said. “These four are very skilled players, and it’s nice because they’ve been able to put in the time.”