Men's Sports, Men's Water Polo, Sports

Brazil native embraces American style

Growing up in the city of Sao Paulo, Brazil, senior center Ricardo Guimaraes lived and breathed the sport of water polo. For his entire life, he was used to one brand of water polo: the Brazilian style.

Guimaraes competed year-round for the Brazilian Junior National team and trained with his family and friends in the big metropolitan city of Sao Paulo.

After his first semester in the United States, Guimaraes was surprised by the new culture of water polo he had walked into.

“It was a shock,” Guimaraes said. “I got here for the swimming semester, and I was like, ‘I don’t know if I want to be here anymore.’”

He explained that Brazil’s water polo culture is different because they don’t train during the off-season and focus more on the technical aspects of the game. Guimaraes described the Brazilian style as more physical, while American style is more about conditioning.

Once he arrived to the U.S. in the spring of 2011, Guimaraes second-guessed his decision to move away from home.

His father Gilberto Guimaraes Jr., and grandfather Joao Goncalves Filho, each represented Brazil in the Summer Olympics.

“Yeah, water polo is kind of a big deal in my family,” Guimaraes said.

Filho participated in the Summer Olympics seven times, competing in swimming and water polo events from 1952-1968. His final stint in the Olympics was when he coached the Judo Brazilian Olympic team in 1992 and 1996.

“[Filho] is so well respected by everyone because of what he brings to the Brazilian sport,” Guimaraes said. “I tried out for Judo when my grandpa was the coach, and he would always make me the example if I made a mistake.”

Guimaraes also said that Filho’s intentions were to not show any signs of favoritism.

The rigorous training Guimaraes experienced with his grandfather taught him some key elements that he applies to his game today.

“I would describe myself as a player that never gives up,” Guimaraes said. “It doesn’t matter if a guy is five inches taller or stronger than I am, because I can just out-quick him or out-smart him.”

Although he stands at 6-feet tall, which is considered a below average height for a center, he uses his knowledge and his 17 years of experience in the sport to make up for his small stature. He said, “otherwise, some of those guys would probably kill me.”

Senior attacker and LBSU teammate Nick Rascon played against Guimaraes in the semifinals round at the 2008 Junior Pan American Games in Sao Paulo. Rascon was on the United States Junior National team that beat Guimaraes’ Brazilian Junior National team.

“It was a great atmosphere back in 2008 when [the U.S. team] were in his city and the fans were throwing things at us in the pool,” Rascon said. “He’s a great player, and I’m glad he’s on our team now.”

The rigorous training Guimaraes experienced first-hand, from training with his grandfather is nothing compared to the challenge he faced in his first semester at Golden West College.

“My first year here, it was rough,” Guimaraes said. “It was a shock because here, water polo is only one semester.”

Turned off by the intense conditioning during swimming season and the shock of being away from home, Guimaraes was uncertain if he wanted stay after one semester at GWC. He went back home to Brazil looking for advice and inspiration.

“My dad is a water polo coach, and my mom is a diving coach,” he said. “I talked to them, and they said, ‘You should at least go back and try it out for one more semester, to see how the water polo season is.’”

However, Guimaraes knew that in order to play in a cutthroat sport like water polo, against premier Mountain Pacific Sports Federation teams, he would have to realize that conditioning is a part of the game he had to do in order to play.

Before Guimaraes battled against MPSF defenders, he helped lead GWC to back-to-back undefeated (28-0) seasons and back-to-back state championships in 2011-12.

Guimaraes attributed GWC with introducing him to the American culture of water polo.

“Every country has a different water polo culture,” Guimaraes said. “They showed me the American way of water polo, which is more about conditioning.”

Guimaraes is a big contributor on offense for the 49ers, and has totaled 21 goals this season. In 20 games played, he’s fit into multiple positions.

According to LBSU head coach Gavin Arroyo, Guimaraes has all the tools and skills to be a top competitor.

“He’s made the jump to be successful,” Arroyo said. “He’s a real smart player, and could play almost any position and knows the game well. He’s a real asset to our program.”

Rascon called Guimaraes the ‘go-to’ guy for getting through a rough day.

“He’s the guy that if you’re having a bad day at practice, he’ll just give you that look, and it’ll make you start laughing,” Rascon said.

In his final collegiate season, Guimaraes has one goal in mind: win the NCAA Tournament.

“We have the best team Long Beach has had in 15 or 20 years,” he said. “That’s what everyone is saying. And we do have a chance to win the title.”

Guimaraes looks forward to an even bigger goal after he leaves the 49ers: the 2016 Brazilian Olympic team.

“I will do anything I possibly can to win,” Guimaraes said.