NBA season begins without all-stars

The NBA season just started, but star players already have several significant injuries that will undoubtedly impact how their team’s season will play out. Some teams are better equipped to handle the loss of a star player. However, for most, it means that any hope of winning is crushed before the first tip-off.

With that in mind, let’s take a look at the most significant injuries heading into the start of the season.

Kevin Durant

The league MVP suffered a “Jones” fracture, which is a broken bone at the base of his small toe in his right foot, less than two weeks ago that will sideline line him for the next 6-8 weeks for the Oklahoma City Thunder.

There’s really no way of replacing one of the best players in basketball, but the Thunder seem less equipped to do so than most teams. Listed behind Durant on the depth chart is second-year guard Andre Roberson, who played only 40 games last year.

Durant’s absence means all-star teammate Russell Westbrook will have to carry the load offensively. Other than Serge Ibaka and Reggie Jackson, though, the roster is lacking in offensive talent. Jeremy Lamb has yet to establish himself as anything more than a shooter, and centers Nick Collison and Steven Adams are role players who rely on others to create open shots for them.

The Thunder are still very effective defensively; so, they shouldn’t be too far behind in the Western Conference standings once Durant returns.

Paul George

The Indiana Pacers’ breakout small forward suffered a gruesome fracture of his tibia-fibula (leg) during a Team USA scrimmage back in August, almost certainly ending George’s season.

George became a terrific scorer last season, averaging over 21 points per game, and he continued to showcase himself as one of the best defensive players in basketball. Veteran C.J. Miles, whom the Pacers signed in the offseason, is expected to replace him. Indiana’s problems go way beyond George’s absence, though.

If this were the only injury the Pacers had to overcome, maybe they would be able to sneak into the playoffs in the weak Eastern Conference. In addition to losing starting shooting guard Lance Stephenson to Charlotte Hornets in free agency, fellow starters George Hill and David West are also out with injuries, leaving Indiana with a depth chart that resembles a D-League roster.

Rajon Rondo

There’s been much speculation about how Celtics star point guard broke his hand. He told The Boston Globe that he slipped in the shower after rumors surfaced from Deadspin.com that he broke it while jumping on a trampoline.

Whatever the case is, Rondo is expected to be out six to eight weeks. His injury leaves the door open for rookie point guard Marcus Smart to take over as the team’s next standout. Smart isn’t as good as Rondo, but he’s also not much of a downgrade, especially considering how injury-prone Rondo has become.

The Celtics will be fine at point guard in Rondo’s absence. The rest of the starting five, though, is still a work-in-progress. Boston is expected to go young, starting third-year man Jared Sullinger at power forward and second-year man Kelly Olynyk at center along with Smart.

Bradley Beal

The Washington Wizards’ guard seemed poised for a breakout year after two strong seasons to start his career. The 21-year-old averaged over 17 points per game with a career-best 40 percent three-point shooting.  He fractured his wrist during an exhibition game against the Charlotte Hornets that will keep him out for up to two months.

The Wizards look like they will manage fine in Beal’s absence. They signed 16-year veteran Paul Pierce, who has scored an average of 20 points per game, in the offseason, and they have former third overall pick Otto Porter ready to contribute. Plus, they still have all-star John Wall leading the offense.