Sports, Women's Basketball, Women's Sports

Reinforcements have arrived

Six players from the 2011-2012 squad are returning this year with some unfinished business.

Two seasons ago, the Long Beach State women’s basketball team became the first team in Big West history to knock off the No. 1 and No. 2 seeds in the Big West Tournament; it was ten points away from the NCAA Tournament.

Three players on the 2011-2012 roster were sidelined last year due to injury, but now they’re back.

This year, they’re determined to take the crown, but the Big West preseason media polls say otherwise, picking LBSU to finish fifth overall in conference.

“I think that’s really bogus,” sophomore Anna Kim said. “Yeah, our conference is consistent with a lot of veterans, but we have a good group. I think we should definitely make a big impact this season.”

LBSU finished with an overall 14-18 record in 2011-2012, 16-16 in 2012-2013, and concluded last season with a 17-15 record.

The ‘Niners have improved each year after the 2011-2012 campaign, making it very possible for them to continue their winning trend that will help them reach the Big Dance. Especially with The Beach returning 10 players from last season, including six people who have known each other and played together for more than three years.

Those six players (Alex Sanchez, Chantel Dooley, Bianka Balthazar, Hallie Meneses, Devin Hudson and Lauren Spargo) want a taste of the NCAA Tournament, something they were so close to getting in their freshman year. But they have some tough competition to go through.

Defending Big West champion Cal State Northridge was picked to be repeat champions after receiving 13 first-place votes and 125 total points. Hawaii was picked second with 101 total points and one first-place vote. Cal Poly finished third with 99 votes and UC Davis finished fourth with 83 votes.

CSUN and UC Davis are returning all five of their seniors this year. Hawaii has three starters returning, and Cal Poly has two.

Even though the 49ers lead the season series against all of the opponents ahead of them in the polls, CSUN and Hawaii have won the last two meetings against The Beach.

On top of the tough conference schedule, non-conference opponents look to be just as strong.

The 49ers’ preseason schedule will include USC, Louisiana State and California. USC is the defending Pac-12 champion, LSU advanced to the Sweet 16 and Cal progressed to the second round of the NCAA Tournament last year.

This means that LBSU will be facing nationally recognized and continually successful teams.

In the preseason coaches’ poll, Cal was ranked No. 14 and LSU at No. 24, with USC receiving seven votes.

Kim said that no matter who is on the schedule, her team will come out confident and eager to play their usual “fast-paced, but in control” game.

“I wouldn’t even consider us underdogs, but since they’re placing us as underdogs, I don’t mind,” Kim said. “I think we’re going to shock the conference. If we play our game, we should go undefeated.”

The 49ers have made strides the past couple of seasons, but the end results haven’t compared to that 2011-2012 season.

The team is not deterred by the challenges facing them, though, saying they expect to be fighting for a championship this season.

The 49ers’ season and home opener is this Friday against Seattle University. The game is set to start at 7 p.m. in the Walter Pyramid.