LBSU notches first back to back wins

An all-around performance helped the Long Beach State men’s basketball team remain undefeated at home after a 68-57 win over Nevada on Wednesday.

In a game plagued early by sloppy offensive play from both teams, the 49ers (5-4) closed out the first half on a 14-2 run, led mostly by senior guards Mike Caffey and Tyler Lamb. Lamb was a perfect 3-3 from beyond the arc in the first half, finishing with 14 points and four rebounds.

Caffey led the team in scoring again with 17 points, despite having one of his worst shooting nights of the season (6-16). He also played the role of facilitator, totaling five assists in the first half.

Head coach Dan Monson praised his team’s defense, which has been inconsistent for most of the season. LBSU held Nevada to just 31 percent shooting on the night.

“It’s a process, it’s a confidence, it’s an attitude and it’s some technique,” Monson said. “All those things have to come together. This team has come a long way defensively.”

This was the first game back for sophomore guard Travis Hammonds since coming off a suspension. Hammonds, who Monson said gave the team a lift of good energy, finished with eight points off the bench.

“That’s what he did for this team last year,” Monson said. “He didn’t do it the first couple games, but I think his attitude is back to where it was last year, and that could help this basketball team.”

Lamb said he thought Hammonds looked good, but will still need time to fully return.

“I know how Travis can play, so I know he’s not himself yet,” Lamb said. “He’s getting back in the flow. He gave us a lot off the bench today in the time that he did play. I know he’s going to keep getting more comfortable and get back to the old Travis.”

The game was called very closely by the officials, leaving Nevada’s bench furious for most of the night. Monson said he wanted his team to be smarter when the game is being called that closely.

“I don’t want to lose the aggressiveness,” Monson said. “I thought we were very aggressive in the first half. We had some fouls that we didn’t need to make and some fouls that didn’t need to be called. Eventually, both the referees and the players adjust to the game. I just told them at halftime I didn’t want them to be worried about the fouls. I wanted them to worry about being smarter.”

This game and the one against Xavier on Sunday marked the first back-to-back wins of the season for the 49ers. Lamb said after Friday’s loss to Washington that the team would not be unprepared for another game like they have been in some.

“We practice pretty hard,” Lamb said. “Our team was very focused for this game, and we knew this was a game we needed to win. That’s where everybody’s head was and we came out with the win.”

The 49ers will now prepare for a six-game road trip that begins on Friday at Stephen F. Austin in Texas.