Sports, Women's Basketball, Women's Sports

Maturity helps 49ers win

The Long Beach State women’s basketball team used a strong defensive in the second half to defeat San Francisco 70-58 on Sunday in the Walter Pyramid. The Beach held a 46.9 field-goal percentage compared to the Dons’ 37.5 percent.

LBSU outscored the Dons 41-31 in the second half. Head coach Jodi Wynn credited the team’s defense.

“We played solid team defense and were pretty positional,” Wynn said. “Offensively, we just wanted to work for the best shot.”

LBSU defeated USF by over 20 points, improving the 49ers’ record to 7-1, while the Dons fell to 6-2.

“It’s the best feeling in the world,” junior center Devin Hudson said. “I don’t think you understand how great it is to start off 7-1 and play like a team.”

Hudson led the way for the 49ers with 12 points and 10 rebounds. Sophomore guard Anna Kim chipped in 13 points, three rebounds and one assist.

Senior guard Taj Winston led the way for the Dons with 16 points – 11 of them coming in the second half – and seven rebounds. USF junior Zhane Dikes contributed 10 points, five rebounds and three steals.

Both teams got off to a slow start, combining for 36 turnovers in the first half.

Wynn said they had good looks offensively, but credited the Dons’ ball pressure.

“Their pressure caused us to be a little more rattled, and we had a lot of turnovers in the first half,” Wynn said.

Wynn is really proud of how the team has matured; she said that the trust the players have with each other eliminates any panic or uncertainty.

“That’s probably how we are 7-1,” Wynn said. “We haven’t played our best, but we are able to win some ugly games. In the past, we might have lost some games.”

Wynn said the team has matured because it isn’t worried about who is starting.

“In the past, some immaturity during some points could have caused them to worry about some things that really don’t matter,” Wynn said.

The 49ers will host California on Saturday in the Walter Pyramid at 4 p.m.