Sports, Women's Basketball, Women's Sports

LBSU shoots for 16th consecutive win

The Long Beach State women’s basketball team will look to extend its longest winning streak since the 1990-91 season when it hosts Cal State Northridge Saturday afternoon at the Walter Pyramid.

The 49ers (17-1, 4-0) have already matched their win total from last year, but head coach Jody Wynn is not taking anything for granted.

“We have to be focused,” head coach Jody Wynn said. “Everyday we come to practice looking to get better and trying to improve. We keep a competitive atmosphere in practice and the girls appreciate it.”

After a successful run against non-conference opponents, LBSU steamrolled into conference play by winning its first four games against Big West opponents by a combined 286-218 margin of victory.

The first place 49ers will put their undefeated Big West Conference record on the line against defending conference champions CSUN (12-6, 2-2).

The 49ers are back home after their first two road conference games of the season. Senior Point guard Hallie Meneses averaged 16 points per game during that stretch on the way to being named the Big West Player of the Week.

After scoring career-high 26 points against Cal Poly on Jan. 15, Meneses continued her good play helping LBSU coast to an 81-44 win at UCSB on Jan. 17.

Even though LBSU has accumulated an impressive amount of success this far, nothing is set in stone just yet for Wynn. That includes the 49ers starting lineup.

“I don’t predetermine our starting lineup,” Wynn said. “Ever since I’ve been involved in coaching, we never keep the same starting five.”

With all of its five starters from last season returning, CSUN was picked to finish first in the conference and defend its Big West Conference title. However, the Matadors lost their last game against Cal Poly 63-54 and are only playing .500 basketball against Big West opponents.

The 49ers are currently riding a 15-game winning streak, having not dropped a game since late November when USC 90-85 beat them in overtime 90-85.

LBSU hopes to get a healthy Anna Kim back for Saturday’s contest. Kim, who has averaged 9.8 points per game, was nursing a sprained right ankle injury that she suffered last week in the Cal Poly game.

In the Santa Barbara game, Kim was limited to seven minutes on the court. Wynn told the Long Beach Press-Telegram that Kim is medically cleared and ready to go.

In their last three games, the 49ers have completed 77.1 percent of their free throws from the line.  If LBSU defeats CSUN this weekend, it would be the fifth time in school history that The Beach has reached that streak.

The 49ers will host Cal State Northridge Saturday afternoon in the Walter Pyramid at 4 p.m.