Yussuf makes impact for LBSU men’s basketball

Freshman forward Temidayo Yussuf’s steady development has made him a valuable asset sooner than expected for the Long Beach State men’s basketball team.

Before the start of the season, head coach Dan Monson said Yussuf, or as his team calls him, “Temi,” was more a prospect than a player ready to contribute. Yussuf’s progression has been a pleasant surprise to a team that desperately needs rebounding and an inside presence.

“I think he’s improved a tremendous amount in the first month,” Monson said. “I just hope he stays humble and hungry to continue to get better. I think he will.”

A recruit from Oakland, Yussuf’s breakout game came on a rare early season start, a 66-57 home win against Nevada. He recorded his first double-double with 11 points and 10 rebounds. He added three blocks on defense for good measure.

“I really didn’t need to start,” Yussuf said. “I just wanted to come in and be effective any way I can whether it’s inside on defense, passing, defense or whatever. As long as I am in there affecting the game in a positive way there’s really no difference for me if I start or not.”

Yussuf credited his teammates, specifically the team’s senior leadership, for helping him gain confidence both in practice and in games.

“Everybody’s been telling me I’ve been doing well,” Yussuf said. “It’s really been the support of my teammates and the coaches for believing in me. That’s instilled more confidence in me than anything else.”

A massive upper-body, combined with the impressive height typical of a Division I college basketball player, Yussuf is more brick-wall than power forward. Physical talent doesn’t always translate into on-court success, and Yussuf knows he has a lot to improve on.

“I feel like there’s room for me to improve every single aspect of my game,” Yussuf said. “I’m not a perfect player, I’m just at the tip of the ice burg with the way I’ve been playing. I feel like if I keep going at the pace I’m going right now, I’m going to keep rising just like my team is right now.”

Senior guard Tyler Lamb has been especially impressed by Yussuf’s development. He said Yussuf has grown a lot during the season, both physically and mentally.

“He’s getting stronger,” Lamb said. “I still don’t think he realizes how strong he is and how much stronger than everybody else he is. He’s doing great, along with all the other freshmen. They come in ready to work and they want to win. Player’s like that only help our program.”

Monson has been searching for a consistent frontcourt partner to play alongside senior forward David Samuels for much of the season. Samuels has started 19 of 21 games, leading the team in rebounding with 8.9 per game. Coach said he hopes Yussuf can emerge as that consistent presence next to Samuels.

“He’s a really good kid who’s worked hard,” Monson said. “As long as he keeps [working hard], I think he can be a big factor.”