Daily 49er Video, Sports, Women's Basketball, Women's Sports

Women’s basketball comes up short in Big West quarterfinals

The Long Beach State women’s basketball team’s second half effort fell short in a 70-67 loss to UC Davis in the Big West Tournament Wednesday Night in Titan Gym in Fullerton.

Davis’ senior guard, Kelsey Harris, broke UC Santa Barbara’s Stacey Clinesmith’s record for most three-pointers in a Big West Tournament game. Clinesmith hit seven threes in 2000; Harris nailed eight triples on her way to scoring a game-high 26 points.

“Kelsey Harris put on a show tonight,” LBSU head coach Jody Wynn said. “I’m proud to see a beautiful performance put on by an athlete.”

The Beach (22-9, 9-7) overcame an 18 point first half deficit, but Harris’ record-setting shooting performance held off LBSU’s comeback.

“I don’t know if anyone could have stopped Kelsey,” senior guard Hallie Menesses said.

The Aggies’ head coach Jennifer Gross said Harris’ shooting performance was the result of the senior’s work ethic.

“She has put in so many shots, and it’s great to see it pay off,” Gross said. “She was ready when it was her moment. She stepped up huge and knocked them down.”

In the second half, Harris picked up from where she left off in the first, recording the first five points of the half. Wynn said it was “no secret” that Harris could shoot the ball.

“She’s one of the best in the nation,” Wynn said. “As a coach, it’s my responsibility to put somebody on her.”

The Beach had a shot to send the game into overtime during the last play. Trailing by three with 10.7 seconds remaining, the Aggies’ defense collapsed on Meneses when she received the inbounds pass, breaking up the original play design.

“It was a screener set,” Wynn said. “I think everyone in the gym knew it was going to Hallie. Including all five Davis players.”

Junior guard Chantel Dooley’s energy and intensity played a vital role in the 49ers comeback effort. Dooley, scoring 15 points and grabbing eight rebounds, was in the right place at the right time, and she said the 49ers’ response to adversity is just a part of who they are.

“When we were down 16, we could have caved in and gave up, but we’re not known for that,” Dooley said. “We’re not that team that says it’s over. We’re going to fight on every possession because that’s our identity.”

Davis’ hot shooting from the outside halted 49ers’ comeback and ultimately carried them to a semifinals matchup against Cal State Northridge.

“I just think they’re a really good shooting team,” Meneses said. “Harris stepped up. That’s what seniors do. You hit the big time shots and ultimately that’s what Davis had over us. It’s a game of runs and they had the upper hand.”

Meneses said the 49ers’ quick conference tournament exit did not define what the team accomplished throughout the 2014-15 season.

“I don’t just look at this game and say, ‘Wow my season is over,’” Meneses said. “We’ve accomplished so much, especially since my first year where we couldn’t even win one game and here we are with 20 plus wins.”