Men's Sports, Men's Track & Field, Sports

Three-peat: LBSU crowned Big West champs

The Long Beach State men’s track and field team claimed its ninth Big West Championship title and its third in a row at the UC Riverside Track Facility Saturday.

The three-peat for the men’s team was the first in LBSU history and the first in the conference since former member Utah State did it in 1996.

At the end Friday night’s event, the 49ers men’s team was in second place behind UC Santa Barbara. LBSU took the event on Saturday afternoon by scoring big performances from sophomore Michael Montgomery in the pole vault and by senior Jacob Fraser in the discus throw.

The men took the lead from the Gauchos after a win in the triple jump with senior Ryan Sanders taking first and junior Willie Alexander finishing second.

Montgomery had a career-best performance in the pole vault clearing 17 feet 9 inches. Montgomery jumped himself into sixth overall in school history with his mark.  

The 49er women’s team finished seventh overall after they ended the first day of the meet tied for sixth with UC Irvine.

Freshman Jasmine Bass earned the second overall spot in 49er history with a third place finish of 40 feet 11.5 inches in the triple jump Saturday afternoon.

The women’s 4x100m relay recorded a time of 45.44 seconds; the time is good for the third best in school history. The team consisted of twin sisters senior Kayla and junior Kristina Goosby and freshmen Ashleigh Chambers and Madison Carney.

The 49ers will look to add on to their Big West win at the NCAA West Preliminary Championships on May 28 in Austin, Texas.

LBSU Men’s Track and Field Big West Winners

400-Meter Dash:

Junior Cameron Glasgow – 46.39 seconds

800-Meter Dash:

Senior Chris Low – 1 minute 48.72 seconds

4×400-Meter Relay

Sophomore Dylan McCloskey

Junior Cameron Glasgow

Sophomore Michael Perez-Rogers

Junior Jahmani Lockett – 3 minutes 9.58 seconds

Hammer Throw:

Sophomore Kody Robison – 205 feet 6 inches

Long Jump:

Sophomore Willie Alexander – 25 feet 5.5 inches

Pole Vault:

Sophomore Michael Montgomery – 17 feet 9 inches

Triple Jump:

Senior Ryan Saunders – 51 feet 1 inch

Discus Throw:

Junior Jacob Fraser – 185 feet 4 inches