Men's Sports, Men's Track & Field, Sports, Women's Sports, Women's Track & Field

LBSU track and field athletes ready for USA Championships

The Long Beach State Track and Field athletes continue to shine even after their season and collegiate careers are over.

Four current and former athletes, all ranking in the top 35 in the nation, have qualified for the USA Track and Field Outdoor Championships taking place June 25-28 in Eugene, Oregon.

Chris Low, who just completed his collegiate career, is coming off of a 19th place finish in the NCAA National Championships for the 800-meter race. Low earned a qualifying bid in April with a season best time of 1:47.56, which ranked 52nd in the country.

Colin Dunbar, who graduated in 2011, ranks fifth in the nation for the men’s hammer throw with his lifetime best mark of 73.56 meters. Dunbar is making his fourth appearance in the USA Championships. His best finish came in 2013 when he took sixth overall.

Ben Woodruff, who competed for the 49ers from 2011-12, qualified for the men’s javelin with a mark of 78.67 meters and Jason Harrell, who graduated from LBSU in 2014, qualified for the men’s discus with a season-best throw of 61.74 meters.

The top three finishers in each event for the USA Championships will qualify for the International Association of Athletics Federations World Championships in Beijing, China. Athletes can also qualify for the North America Central America Caribbean Association Senior Meet in Costa Rica and the Pan American Games in Toronto.

Redshirt senior Tiffany Forbito also qualified for the USA Championships in the women’s javelin with her lifetime best throw of 51.56 meters. However, she didn’t make the final cut this weekend.