Sports, Women's Volleyball

Undefeated LBSU protects home court early

Despite injuries forcing players out of position, the LBSU women’s volleyball team won back-to-back games against Alabama on Friday and No. 25 Duke on Saturday at the Walter Pyramid.

The Beach, led by senior Jenelle Hudson and junior Nele Barber, beat Alabama, 3-1, in their season opener on Friday night. Hudson was player of the game hitting at .444 and eight digs.

“Our first game was a little shaky,” Hudson said. “But, we found a way to win.”

After beating the Crimson Tide, The Beach immediately had to prepare for a tough game against the Duke Blue Devils the next day. The 49ers fought back after going down two sets to one and defeated the Blue Devils 3-2.

Hudson has tallied 72 assists and nine kills to begin the season just as strong as last year’s. Ashley Murray, returning sophomore, had a combined 15 kills.

Murray and freshman Carly Beddingfield both finished with seven well-timed kills and crucial defensive plays to help bring energy to the Beach against Alabama. The 49ers took control after the first set and only had 10 service errors compared to Alabama’s 22.

49er outside hitter Nele Barber, a junior transfer, had a career high of 19 kills against Duke and 13 digs, registering a double-double. Hudson also put a double-double on the score sheet with41 assists and 15 digs.

Junior Tiara Wallace also notched a career high of nine kills hitting at .333 against Duke playing out of position at opposite.

“I just felt comfortable hitting, I had a good night,” Wallace said.

ADVERTISEMENT: Ready to save money on textbooks?

Shop online and save now! — 49er Shops!

4x6 Textbook Step By Step print

Wallace played opposite after freshman Peyton Grahovac sprained her left ankle in the second set of the Alabama game. Grahovac was already playing out of position to fill redshirt freshman Sherridan Atkinson’s spot. Atkinson dislocated her left ankle a few weeks ago.

Other injuries LBSU must deal with include labrum surgery for sophomore Anete Brinke, a foot infection for freshman Sammee Thomas and an eye infection for senior Lindsey Lawmaster, according to head coach Brian Gimmillaro.

Despite all of the ailments hovering around The Beach, they found a way to compete and more importantly win.

“Our nerves are gone now,” Hudson said. “It wasn’t pretty, but the freshies stepped up and we finished strong.”

Barber said that “it felt like a roller coaster” playing in front of the home crowd motivated The Beach against both Alabama and Duke.

“We wanted to win in our own gym,” Barber said.

The Beach prepare for their third consecutive home match against Saint Mary’s on Sunday in the Walter Pyramid at 1 p.m.