Commentary, Sports

Brady deflategate suspension wrongfully but justifiably overruled

The one time that NFL commissioner Roger Goodell institutes a fair punishment and the case is thrown out the window. That’s right, the NFL could not even successfully punish someone that they caught cheating.

U.S. District Judge Richard Berman dismissed Tom Brady’s case on Thursday regarding a four-game suspension issued by the league for his involvement in deflating footballs before the AFC Championship.

Berman said that Brady did not have enough notice of the suspension or investigation in that he would be punished for an act of wrongdoing. Berman also ruled that there was an unfair appeal process because Brady did not have prior access to investigative documents or one of the key witnesses before Goodell suspended him.

What this case has revealed is that the NFL is completely inept at handling any issue regarding their athletes. Goodell had plenty of evidence to find Brady guilty, but mishandled the situation by not giving Brady notice of the suspension or evidence used in the case.

It’s hard to say what is more upsetting, the fact that Brady is getting off scot-free, or the fact that Goodell is so dictatorial that he can’t get even accomplish policing his own sport.

The public has seen too many NFL players get into trouble. There was Ray Rice’s domestic violence case and Adrian Peterson’s child abuse case. There have been 87 arrests for domestic violence 80 NFL players in the past 14 years according to NBC news.

Sure, Brady’s case is different than the domestic violence issues that have plagued the league in the past, but all of the cases should be handled the same way. With a fair and proper punishment issued.

But Roger Goodell has so clearly been ruling in such an arbitrary manner that he has lost all credibility with his players and the fans.

Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger is on Brady’s side, saying that Goodell jumped to a conclusion with the punishment. Roethlisberger probably thought that Goodell made a mistake when he was suspended for his sexual assault case back in 2010.

The NFL is appealing the U.S. court’s decision, as they should, so that Brady can receive the proper punishment. However, Brady will still be able to play while the case is being handled.

And in the midst of all this, Brady has never looked more content with himself than he does in every photo opportunity or meeting he is doing surrounding the case.

During a press conference on Sunday, Brady said he was awfully sorry for the two Patriots equipment management employees who were suspended indefinitely for being involved in deflategate.

“I think that, you know, it’s been a very tough situation for everybody,” Brady said during a press conference. “I certainly feel terrible for them that they’re not able to be with us right now.”

What Brady is really trying to say here is that he is ecstatic that he is not suspended for four games. Brady challenged Goodell’s law and managed to win, and he definitely won’t be the last.

And so it goes, Brady will step onto the football field Thursday night to play the Steelers in the first game of the NFL season. A symbol of everything the NFL cannot get right.