Men's Basketball, Sports

ESPN has their eyes set on LBSU and Big West basketball

The Big West released its 2015-2016 ESPN men’s basketball television schedule on Thursday and the LBSU men’s team could feature in up to nine games.

Four of the 49ers’ nonconference match-ups are already scheduled for national broadcast and another five conference contests will be considered for ESPN coverage as well.

LBSU’s game against BYU at the Walter Pyramid on Nov. 17 is the first matchup of the season to be broadcast. The game will air on ESPN2 at 10:45 p.m. as part of the network’s annual “College Hoops Tip-Off Marathon.”

The Cougars have made the NCAA tournament eight of the last nine years and will return Kyle Collinsworth, who holds the NCAA career record for most triple-doubles.

ESPN will also broadcast the Gildan Charleston Classic, an early-season tournament where the 49ers will take on some notable programs. Their first game in the bracket will be a match-up with Seton Hall from the Big East on Nov. 19 on ESPNU.

Depending on who wins and advances on the other side of the bracket, LBSU could potentially meet defending ACC regular season champion Virginia on ESPNU or ESPN3. The Cavaliers went 30-4 a season ago and would be a huge test for head coach Dan Monson’s squad.

LBSU’s final game of the tournament will also be televised on one of ESPN2, ESPN3 or ESPNU. Who the opponent will be depends on the 49ers’ results in the previous games.

ESPN2 and ESPNU will combine to air five regular season Big West games, using a “Wild Card” system to determine match-ups 2-4 weeks ahead of time.

LBSU’s conference games under consideration for ESPN’s Big West coverage will feature rivals and premier talent. Most notably is the game against UC Davis, the defending regular season conference champion, on Jan. 9.

The 49ers’ rematch with Hawaii, the team that knocked LBSU out of the Big West Tournament last year, North Shore adventure to face Hawaii on Jan. 30 is a possible televised option.

Also under consideration is LBSU’s rivalry game against Cal State Fullerton on Feb. 20 as well as a couple February match-ups with CSUN and UC Riverside.