Men's Sports, Men's Water Polo, Sports

49ers men’s water polo team continues to struggle after back-to-back conference losses

The Long Beach State men’s water polo team continues to flounder after Saturday’s 6-5 conference loss to No. 8 UC Irvine, where six different players scored for the Anteaters.

LBSU’s rematch with UC Irvine (9-2) was just as a close as the first match-up when the 49ers walked away victorious in a 12-11 match. The sequel saw a different outcome with the Anteaters on the winning side.

Despite LBSU tying the game at 2-2 to end the first quarter, a scoreless second quarter for the 49ers put them in a hole and allowed UC Irvine to take control 4-2 at half time.

LBSU freshman Keegan Wicken’s goal in the third cut the deficit to one and breathed life into the 49ers until the Anteaters’ Jared Osborn and Matt Skinner netted two more goals before the end of the third.

Down 6-3 and their backs against the wall, LBSU looked to its senior goalie Pavo Ljepopio to keep the ball out of the net while the 49ers sought an answer on the offensive end. Ljepopio locked down UC Irvine in the 4th period and would end the day with 16 total saves.

LBSU put up a furious rally late in the 4th period after another goal by Wicken and a goal by Chandler Kaltenbach to make it 6-5 with less than four minutes to go. However, despite some last minute attempts, the 49ers failed to score another goal.

LBSU’s will travel to Malibu to participate in the SoCal Tournament this Saturday, Oct. 10th.