Sports, Women's Sports, Women's Volleyball

LBSU’s Big West win streak snapped

The Long Beach State women’s volleyball team bounced back from a disappointing 3-1 loss against Cal Poly on Friday night by defeating UCSB 3-1 on Saturday.

The 49ers’ loss against the Mustangs broke a 23-match Big West winning streak for LBSU, who hadn’t lost since Nov. 9, 2013 against CSUN.

Junior outside hitter Nele Barber and senior setter Jenelle Hudson both recorded double-doubles on Friday night, but LBSU was unable to stop Mustang’s freshman outside hitter Adlee Van Winden. Van Winden had 21 kills with nine digs and only four errors.

After the Mustangs won the first set 25-17, LBSU recovered and won the second one 25-20. However, the Mustangs capitalized on 49er mistakes and won the last two sets 25-23 and 25-15 to win the match.

The 49ers started Saturday’s game by losing the first set 25-18. They made up for their first set mistakes by coming out on top in the second 25-19. The third set was neck and neck until freshman libero Mykah Wilson ended it with a kill 26-24. LBSU then blew past the Gauchos in the fourth set 25-12 to win the game.

Hudson had a career-high nine kills on Saturday, one away from a triple-double; she also recorded 43 assists and 10 digs.

The 49ers will return to the Walter Pyramid on Tuesday at 7 p.m. against UC Riverside.