Soccer, Sports, Women's Sports

LBSU soccer’s Ashley Gonzalez sounds off about showing up in big games

Ashley Gonzales, the star of the Long Beach State women’s soccer team’s attack, is living up to the reputation that earned her the 2014 Big West Freshman Player of the Year.

Gonzales has four game winning goals this season, but more impressive are the teams three of those goals came against.

The forward netted the game winner against UCLA in the season opener, then stepped up under pressure and scored the go-ahead goal against DePaul, in Chicago, Illinois, from the penalty spot.

On Sunday, Gonzales lifted the 49ers over rivals Cal State Fullerton with a golden goal in overtime in the Big West opener. Her performance in attack earned her the Big West Offensive Player of the Week award.

Gonzales spoke with the Daily 49er about how she got started playing and where she is at now.

Did you know early that you’d be a striker?

Yeah. I didn’t like defending, I just liked scoring goals and being in the attacking plays.

How did you first start kicking around a soccer ball?

I actually started just playing on the sidelines. My mom used to play soccer so I was watching her and I started kicking around a soccer ball and started playing. She played somewhere in El Monte and in Baldwin Park in a Sunday League.

What was it about soccer that got you hooked?

I just liked the competitiveness and the winning aspect; I wanted to win, I wanted to score. Just going out there and playing and feeling happy being on the field and playing with the soccer ball. No matter what, game or practice, having the happiness out there.

So let’s fast forward to Long Beach State. You had a good freshman year, what do you think was the key to having that great start to your collegiate career?

[I think the key was] coming in and knowing I have to earn my spot. Nothing is given, just keeping working for what I want and what I want to be able to start with. To show people that I can play and that I can score and that I can help my team to the championship.

Did you know about the sophomore slump? Do you believe in that at all?

At the beginning, I did feel like I as in a little slump. But, I just had to get out of the funk and keep improving my game and show people that slump doesn’t exist. [You have to] keep going, keep proving people wrong.

What is it about the big games for you? You seem to score in all the big ones.

I don’t know! I get the feeling that I need to win this game. It’s not like it has to be me, but the team has this energy that we just have to bring our all, as with every other game.

You mentioned earlier that you want the Big West championship, is that you one goal?

That’s one of our goals, to get the big west championship and see where it takes us, hopefully to the NCAA championship.

What’s been the biggest goal you’ve scored?

I think it has been this last game against Fullerton.

What or who has been your biggest inspiration in your career?

I don’t know. I think it’s just watching the biggest players in Barcelona and Madrid and how they play and wanting to play like them.