LBSU Dirtbags release 2016 schedule

The Long Beach State Dirtbags released their 2016 schedule and it features 33 home games out of the total 56 games on the calendar.

Seven of the teams on the schedule took part in the 2015 postseason, including rival Cal State Fullerton. Last season, the 49ers split the series with the Titans, taking a pair of wins at Blair before getting swept in Fullerton.

The Dirtbags are only making two trips outside of California this season. They’ll head to Hawai’i for a conference match up then to Oklahoma for three game series against the Sooners.

UCLA, USC, Fresno State, LMU and San Diego State all have a deal with the Dirtbags for home-and-home agreements for weekday games, with the teams meeting twice during the season, each at their respective fields.

The 2013 College World Series Champions, UCLA, split the two game series against the Dirtbags last season with each team taking a win at their home field.

LBSU had a promising start last season, getting off to an 8-1 start before the inexperience of the young team showed as the Dirtbags ended the season at 28-26.

The Dirtbags look to improve upon last season, as four returners were All-Big West selections in 2015. Freshman Pitcher of the Year Chris Mathewson returns to the mound while junior shortstop Garrett Hampson, sophomore outfielder Brock Lundquist and sophomore first baseman Luke Rasmussen will all don the black and gold again.

The 2016 season kicks off with a home series against Holy Cross on Feb. 19 and Big West play kicks off on April 1 at Blair Field against UC Santa Barbara.