Men's Sports, Men's Water Polo, Sports

LBSU freshman Keegan Wicken talks Australia, Olympic hopes

Crikey! In the land down under, there are all kinds of amazing specimen: the box jellyfish, the Sydney funnel web spider—the most dangerous spider in the world—and Long Beach State water polo star Keegan Wicken.

The Australia transplant has already made waves in the pool for the 49ers, leading the team in goals with 33 on the season for a 1.65 goals per game average. Wicken’s match high for goals came in an overtime showdown against UC Berkley as he totaled seven in the loss.

The defender sat down with the Daily 49er to discuss his roots in water polo and his fear of the Australian wildlife.

How did you get started playing water polo?

My mom played water polo as a kid and there was a local competition in Australia that I went down to play at eight, and that’s how I got started. I was kind of playing rugby and water polo, and I liked [water polo] better so I pursued it more.

What made you want to come to America to play on a college team?

In Australia, it’s like you go from high school to opens, so there’s no real transition period, so I thought it’d be a good four years to transfer myself from juniors to seniors. We have a national comp in Australia, so it’s like whatever age, and it’s kind of hard to be a junior. I was on a team where I was playing five-six games a year instead of the 22 they typically play [here], so I wasn’t really getting much out of it, so I thought I’d come over here and get taught by [Head Coach] Gavin [Arroyo] who is a two-time Olympian and go back [to Australia] when I’m 22-23; when I’m more experienced.

What sold you on playing for LBSU?

I heard it was a good program from other people who have come here from Australia and the coaching. That family mentality that we have is kind of what sold me.

How has your experience here been so far?

It’s been good, it’s been kind of surprising how much I’ve been getting to play, and how much I’ve learned already in the short time I’ve been here.

Do you have a fond memory of being with this team so far?

I have one that I’m not fond of which was hell week, which is the first week of training where we practice six hours a day with weight belts and stuff. It’s in the pool and lifting in the gym before that. I like hanging out on Tuesday nights because we get Wednesday mornings off. We kind of just hang out at the house and play FIFA because we can sleep in, so that’s pretty cool.

Are you afraid of any indigenous wildlife in Australia?

I’m definitely scared of spiders because we have the 10 deadliest spiders in Australia. They kind of creep me out. We have big ones that don’t hurt you, it’s just kind of freaky how big they are, but I’ve never been bitten. I lived in the city and it’s more out in the country, the outback where they are.

What do you see for your future in water polo?

Personally I want to go to the 2020 Olympics for Australia, and then as a group we want to go to the NCAA’s at least in the next two years, if not the next three years in a row. I want to contribute to the team; I’ve come here to improve myself and my team play.